Brown Eyed Susan Q

Was at my local WalMart (I know, not the BEST place for plants) and they have some heavily discounted brown eyed susans ... 1 gallon pots. I've got an area that I'm thinking of planting in next year and almost scooped them up for the new area .... however I realized I wouldn't know exactly what to do with them over winter. Should I over winter them in their 1 gallon pots, in a garage where it gets cold but doesn't freeze? Or, would they have to seed the area in order for me to have plants next spring? Would I have to plant them now or could I just keep 'em til spring and then plant them, hoping they come back? I guess I just don't know exactly how these babies work.
I'm Zone 5, 20 miles north of Boston (as the crow flies)
Thanks Catty One
Catty One said:

ground a bit and mulching around them with leaves (in zone 6).

I am in zone 5 as well and just transplanted some brown eyed susans to other places in my yard. I would go ahead and plant them where you want to now. They should come up fine next year.
:) Lynn