Bounce Light to outdoor shaded plants

This might be a silly idea, but is there a way to bounce more natural sun light onto plants that are in the shade part of the day? I read that tin foil won't work because it takes out the blue-green light that plants need. What about a white reflective card, or a mirror. Would any of these work ?

I don't want to use grow lights.

thanks

Reply to
TrailGuy

-snip-

Plant a white clapboard house nearby? I'm at about the same latitude as Albany, NY. I should not have much growth on the north side of my house. But there is a house about 50 feet north of me and I am able to grow shade tolerant plants right up to my foundation. [both houses are oriented so the south side gets maximum sun and the north gets squat--- the neighbor had a forest to his north and can get nothing to grow on his north side]

Dock, ferns & Angelica thrive-- but I've had good luck with wild thyme, Bee Balm [Monarda didyma] and chives to within 3 feet of the north side of my house where no direct sun ever shines. [clay soil is a bigger problem there than low light] I've got some Iris about

10' from the house & it does OK-- probably gets an hour or two of sun mid-summer.

OTOH- There are some very interesting shade lovers out there if you're trying to dress up a shady area. Check out the Hosta's & ferns at the Hosta Farm-

it is easier to plant what will grow someplace than to alter the environment.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not silly at all. They do it all the time on movie/TV sets, whether on stages or on the street. You may have seen those silver-colored reflectors that are used to regulate the lighting. I guess you could either buy one of those ($$$???) or make your own with a frame and rolls of aluminum foil.

I assume you have found that the plants NEED more sunlight?

Persephone

[...snippage...]
Reply to
Persephone