bouganvilla

My bouganvilla was beautiful for several years and now there are very few "flowers." Could it need some hard pruning? I don't know if they "flower" on new growth and perhaps that is the problem or what. I had another bush that lookked like it just died and cut it to the ground and now it seems to be coming back. A third bush was beautiful last yuear, but again hardly any color. Any suggestions? Helen

on
and
In order for Bougainvillea to bloom it must have full sun, minimal water, and minimal fertilizer. At least once a year they need a hard cutback as well.

gotta be hard to prune this one
http://www.volvoadventures.com/164AusBougainvillea.jpg
i've seen them way up in trees.