Bonsai Crape Myrtle?

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Yes, Crape Myrtle make lovely bonsai. A nice way to get an interesting twisty trunk it to use root cuttings, just pot them up and they take off.
Your tree will need winter protection, you can simply bury the pot in the ground, or heap pine needles around it, or keep it in a cool greenhouse or shade house for the winter.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com

Forgot to post some fine examples:
http://mini-bonsai.com/hyousi/sarusuberi140828.jpg
http://mini-bonsai.com/kongetu/1998/101220/k101220-6.jpg
http://mini-bonsai.com/kongetu/1998/101220/k101220-7.jpg
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
Crape myrtles are decidious. So you could, if you have the right garden situation, let them drop their leaves with the first frosts in October or early November, and then move them into the coolest indoor location you have - an unheated garage, a chilly basement, a shed - anywhere that will keep them dormant until April or so, when you can bring them out and let them leaf out in the slightly warmer temps of spring. At regular house temps, they would probably leaf out too early and suffer in the low-light situation of a northern winter indoors. I keep a number of marginal plants this way. Fuchsias, passion vines, some potted perennials that are marginal (from the lobelia family). I just put them in my unheated garage, which stays in the mid-30's to 40 degrees from December through March.