Boggy Garden

I've recently bought a new house and inherited a very wet garden. It seems the builders were a bit slack with sorting the ground, are there planting suggestions to try and dry up the ground ? any specific very thirsty planting regimes etc that i may try to use ? I intend to put in a wildlife pond with bog plants, will this help ? what about trees ?
Many thanks - Vince

If you will give us a location for your new house, someone here is sure to know how to help. Congratulations!! Emilie NorCal