Free young silver dollar eucalyptus trees in SoCal

We have 8 young (about 8 -12 feet tall, planted within the last couple years, still staked up for support) silver dollar eucalyptus trees in the Los Angeles area that are free to a good home. They should transplant very well (one blew over last year in a wind storm and had a small root ball).

They are very healthy, very attractive and free to someone who wants to take them. They could make a stunning little grove.

The previous owner of our house planted them along our driveway, and although they look very nice now, they are too closely spaced and will become too tall for where they are located.

If you think you are interested, just let me know.

best,

doug

Reply to
old dirtbeard

They won't transplant at that size. They just die if anyone trys to transplant them.

If they are too big for the position but you want to keep them then you could just chop them off at ankle height and they will put out lots of new growth of the immature foliage which is what they are most popular for ie the "silver dollar" look. In australia they are known as the "Argyle Apple".

Reply to
FarmI

Thank you very much -- I will try what you are suggesting. they are beautiful trees and I do not want to kill them if I can help it.

So I can cut them off with a chain saw at ankle height and they will become bushes? Is it that simple?

Thanks again for your advice -- much appreciated.

best,

doug

Reply to
old dirtbeard

Yep. Australian Eucalypts are tough as they need to be able to survive what people in the US call wildfires. But they don't transplant at all well so if you want to grow them you are better to buy a 9 inch tall seedling than a

3 foot high plant. the 9 inch seedling will outgrow the 3 ft high one in a season.

If you're unsure or timorous about the chainsaw remedy, try cutting off one or two at ankle height and wait. You were going to give them away anyway so if you don't like the result then you've lost nothing. Don't overfeed them or overwater them either, and lay off any phorsphorus fertilser as Australia is a whole continent which has limited supplies of phosphorus.

This site may help you. Scroll down and look for "Argyle Apple" which is it's Australian name.

Thanks again for your advice -- much appreciated.

Most welcome.

Reply to
FarmI

The message from "old dirtbeard" contains these words:

Yes, though you will have to keep doing it regularly to maintain the effect. Bear in mind that although coppicing keeps the above-ground section of the tree relatively small, the underground root system will still reach full size.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough