Baby Hebe

I bought four of these from a reputable nursery and planted in front porch planter box last year. They did very well for months, until (about 2 months ago) I noticed the far-right one was turning black (no political implication intended <g> This spread from R to L until all four plants were completely black or getting that way.
I took them back to the nursery today. They were very nice, examined the plants, looked up info, but came up with no clue as to what was happening. AFAIK, I gave them proper water and they got sun 3/4 day in summer and 1/2 day in "winter".
I was concerned that the soil had been infected, but the other plants seem fine.
Is this too fragile a plant?...Or...? Never saw anything so strange as the R to L progression.
Any clues?
TIA
HB
Add pictures here
✖
In article

I suspect overwatering as the culprit and your planter has better drainage to the left. They like fairly lean soil on the dry side.
Add pictures here
✖

Astute suggestion, Kay; I put a level on the planter***but it's not slanted. So it's possible that the drain hole on the L. is more open than on the R, but I'm not turning over that puppy to check it out <g>.
Nursery gave me credit for the $50+. Guess I will put in something innocuous between the 3 vertical plants.
*** I made the planter in woodshop years ago, along with a computer footstool which I designed to hold my feet at the exact comfort angle. This is one of my great achievements -- along with installing a bathroom faucet, and replacing the electronic lighter in my wall oven. Maybe not much for a lifetime, but, hey, for a not-so-handy person... But I probably will not have these three engraved on my tombstone, for the reason that I will not HAVE a tombstone. Wish I could afford to have my ashes shot into space...
Add pictures here
✖
In message

How severe have the frosts been in your neck of the woods? (The right to left progression might be due to a gradient in the degree of shelter.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 10, 2:24 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley

HB
Add pictures here
✖

You probably don't remember Dutch Elm disease... it spread in a linear fashion down many, many streets. What happened is that the trees had formed natural root grafts over the years, and when the fungus was introduced into one tree. it would spread down the road via the root graphs.
That's the first explanation that pops to mind -- root grafting.
If it were indoors in an office, the first explation I'd explore there was someone dumping their coffee cup or similar in one end of a planter consistently. <g>
Kay
Add pictures here
✖