Anyone Ever Grow Cyprus Vine?

This is the variety I'm talking about.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365 /
I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on growing this vine?
Patrick
I have this and it seems your doing just fine. Mine here in Fl comes back every year and it does spread

Marsha wrote:

North FL? Does it come back from seed or the root?
Patrick

psst... hey you
I have several that came up volunteer this year. My neighbors call them "Hummingbird vines" I am told that they are quite prolific and I have gotten seeds from pods on one of the vines already. They sure are pretty!
Want some seeds?
Kate
: > > This is the variety I'm talking about. : : > > http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365 / : : > > I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a : > > buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well : > > to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a : > > retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on : > > growing this vine? : : : North FL? Does it come back from seed or the root? : : Patrick :
They sure are pretty, how about saving me a few for new year.
:) Lynn

You betcha kiddo.. any time!
: > psst... : > hey you : > : > I have several that came up volunteer this year. My neighbors call them : > "Hummingbird vines" : > I am told that they are quite prolific and I have gotten seeds from pods : > on : > one of the vines already. : > They sure are pretty! : > : > Want some seeds? : > : > Kate : > : :
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

prolonged full sun well here. If it's humid where you live, your plant will probably do just fine.
I always grow Cardinal Climbers (Ipomoea x multifida), a close relative of Cyprus Vine. The foliage is similar but the leaf lobes are less fine and not as deeply cut. The flowers are a little larger, last a bit longer, and are more abundant. They are usually bright red, but occasionally white-flowered specimens occur.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/662 /
Both are very attractive to hummingbirds. I grow my Cardinal Climbers interspersed with Scarlet Runner Beans on bird netting tacked to my wood fence. They are both easily grown from seed. I start mine a month before last frost and pinch the growing shoots a few times before taking them outside. They form really dense mats at the top of the fence, covered with flowers that the hummers adore.
Grow them where you want them to recur; they reseed readily and can be pesky if you don't.

well Patrick, I've seen prime example of what Cypress vine or "Love Vine" as my Aunt Francis used to call it (because it strangles the hell outa it's surrounding plants---- ;) As much as I admire it, grow it where you can keep an eye on it's spread. I've seen what one season of not watching where the vines scramble can do. Each flower produces a case that holds four to five seeds that all sprout,making more vine next year which multiplied four to five times each vine adds up. And it's stinky to pull up. Hummer's like it, but there are less invasive vines to offer them that this, unless you grow it on a support with nothing else for it to grab onto.
I actually considered myself lucky with all the thousands of seeds at Mary Emma's that got loose from her's that I didn't wind up with it to battle along with my Vinca major and other things, and damned if I didn't spot a weak tendril in a pot of mum's the other day. Where it came from I can't tell you, but I'm pulling it out tomorrow. The trumpet vine next to the pot of mums won't allow another invasive vine to move in.................you'd never find me for the foliage! madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking a very hazy and sticky English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where I won't deliberately grow Cypress Vine no matter how beautiful..................