Annual Ryegrass

Page 1 of 2
I have a vacation cabin in the mountains of NC, at 4200 feet elevation.
In early June, I planted annual ryegrass, in a partly shaded area. It came up in about 15-20 days, and was *real* thick and green.
We then left the mountain and returned in early August. The ryegrass was all gone !!
Why didn't the grass last all summer? Did it have enough sunlight to germinate, but then die back because of too much shade ?
There was a drought of several weeks in early July, but that was after the seed had germinated, and looked good.
What is the most likely reason the ryegrass was strong and thick in early June, but totally gone by early August ?
Thanks !!
James

Critter salad.
Hmmmmmmmmmm... you think a lot of common critters eat ryegrass ? What type of critters might do this ?
I had not thought of this, but it is food for thought...
James
James wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with Brooklyn but it could also be due to the heat and drought.
gloria p
No, sorry, critters aren't the real issue - annual rye grass is a cool weather grass that dies as soon as it has gone to seed. It may come back from seed next year, depending on water, etc. I live in NC, and can tell you that you have a few options - 1) bermuda grass - it is completely dormant in the winter, and green once it warms up to ~50 F in the spring. It's aggresive and will spread everywhere there is enough light. 2) fescue - it needs a fair amount of water in the heat of the summer, but thrives in spring and fall. It needs to be frequently cut at 2.5 - 3" to thrive and look its best. 3)zoysia - it does not need anywhere near as much mowing as the other two, but also spreads everywhere.

Fran, you don't mean to imply that it is "normal" for annual rye grass to grow for three weeks and then die ?? I doubt many folks would use it if this were normal....
I do think the heat and semi-drought was the most likely cause....
thanks everyone !!
James
--------------------------
annual rye grass is a cool weather grass that dies as soon as it has gone to seed.

That is what annual ryegrass does.
It sounds like you are confusing annual ryegrass with perennial ryegrass.
FarmI wrote:

James, Fran actually knows this stuff.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I just realized there are two Frans one explicit the other cloaked. The message is the same.

Well I'm not really trying to be 'cloaked' as lots of people know my name is Fran :-)). Only one ng I post to has the sort of environment where posters are expected to put a sig on their posts - sadly I usually forget to do it.
FarmI wrote:

You only post to one "serious" NG? Which is that? What is this then?
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:29:12 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

rec.chopped.liver

I wouldn't call it a 'serious' ng (at least it's no more serious than this one given that it similalry involves people with a passion for their pastime), but it's the only one where the other posters like to know a name.
It's a craft based group and the same people have been posting there since the year dot so know each other well. Most ngs have the sort of environment where posters don't give a rat's posterior what a person is called.
Emilie, that is very interesting !! thank you !
James
-------------------------------- James yes this is true. Annual rye is used with a Bermuda lawn to give a green look thru winter. Bermuda is used in Hot summer areas, but it goes brown and dormant over winter. AnnRye is seeded in early fall and is green over winter until hot weather arrives, then it dies. It is seeded right into the bermuda.
So if you seeded it in June, there wasn't much time left for a cool weather grass to live.
Emilie

I usually use annual rye, often called winter rye here, as a cover crop. If I get it in early enough - late September say, I will usually have a lovely mini field of rye over the winter.
Kate mid TN

When you say 'cover crop' do you mean that you use it as a green manure? It's good for green manure.

Yes, that's what i mean. And it's pretty, too!

Indeed it is pretty. But then even some weeds are pretty. Scotch thistle is gorgeous, but not a good thing to have in one's pastures.
We live in the country and we have a friend who was born in Scotland. She was having a birthday party and I sent my husband off to a neglected corner wearing the welding gloves to collect some flowers from a particulalry good looking Scotch thistle. We arrived at our friend's birthday party and presented her with the thistles shoved into an old jar and everyone fell about laughing at our joke. She put the jar and thistles on the mantle piece and we all got on with the party.
There were some late arrivals who had had to travel for many hours from Sydney to get to the party. They thought the 'flowers' were lovely and asked where they could buy some because they'd love to take a bunch home with them. All we country folk just about had a stroke on the spot.

canadian thistle is what we have a lot of here - but the smell of the flower is wonderful! I usually leave one or 2 alone so I can enjoy them - away from the road so the neighbors won't get upset.
Another 'weed' I enjoy is golden rod. They should start blooming soon. I have a stand of them, currently beaten down from last nights storms.

Ah yes, quite lovely. It's not so weedy here for some reason (perhaps too dry, but who knows). I had a stand of it in my last place and it always stayed as a small patch.