Annual Ryegrass

Indeed it is pretty. But then even some weeds are pretty. Scotch thistle is gorgeous, but not a good thing to have in one's pastures.

We live in the country and we have a friend who was born in Scotland. She was having a birthday party and I sent my husband off to a neglected corner wearing the welding gloves to collect some flowers from a particulalry good looking Scotch thistle. We arrived at our friend's birthday party and presented her with the thistles shoved into an old jar and everyone fell about laughing at our joke. She put the jar and thistles on the mantle piece and we all got on with the party.

There were some late arrivals who had had to travel for many hours from Sydney to get to the party. They thought the 'flowers' were lovely and asked where they could buy some because they'd love to take a bunch home with them. All we country folk just about had a stroke on the spot.

Reply to
FarmI

welding gloves are about the only way I'd try to harvest thistle - canadian thistle is what we have a lot of here - but the smell of the flower is wonderful! I usually leave one or 2 alone so I can enjoy them - away from the road so the neighbors won't get upset.

Another 'weed' I enjoy is golden rod. They should start blooming soon. I have a stand of them, currently beaten down from last nights storms.

Reply to
kate

Ah yes, quite lovely. It's not so weedy here for some reason (perhaps too dry, but who knows). I had a stand of it in my last place and it always stayed as a small patch.

Reply to
FarmI

Thistles will also attract some nice gold finches, if you are in the right place of N. America.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thistles will also attract some nice gold finches, if you are in the right place of N. America. ______________________________ I'm on the other side of the world and in another hemisphere from N. America. But we do get some lots of birds here - 60 different species in a

6 month period (or so I'm told by the resident former member of Gould League of Birdlovers).
Reply to
FarmI