Annoying seed things dropped by trees

Some trees drop something on the ground that are brown, spherical and have spiky things pointing out. What types of trees do that?
Is there a list of which trees drop which kinds of seeds on the ground?
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

If they look like grenades, those are magnolia trees. If they're about the size of a golf ball, they're liquidambars. Do the leaves turn colors in the fall?
--
Cheers,
Bev
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

If there is, Bald Cypress should be on the top of the list of dropping annoying seeds!
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

What you suspect is true. The trees are out to get you.
Even if you make a formal complaint, I doubt that the species in question will show up in court.

That sounds like a Sweet Gum tree. I live in the west and use the Sunset book, but there are any number of books. See your county agricultural agent.
could it be a SYCAMORE tree??? if it IS....can i have some of them? i'll pay the postage and everything!!!!
oh! but wait...you hafta wait til they're brown and less hard and then the seeds will pull out easily and be fluffy--- and MUCH EASIER to send than bulky round things. are they to that point (where you can pull the seeds out in clumps??)
if you WOULD BE interested, email me at the address below my signature...and i'll send you my snailmail address.
hopeful thanks, in advance
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.
snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

As someone else said maybe a sweetgum, actually a Liquidambar styraciflua.
Here is a link to a picture of a tree and the seed pod. Does this look like yours?
http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/liquidam.cfm
--
-Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
Ernie Klein wrote:

They look like that except that they are brown.
I see those seed things around sidewalks in the bay area.
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

They turn brown before they drop off the tree.
Liquidamber are a very common sidewalk tree in the Bay Area. Mid Peninsula is full of them.
--

so are sycamore...they grow all over the place....it's where i got my FIRST seed "ball"---- down near that "fort" where they have the big iron cannons....i picked up quite a few, but only a few germinated; unlike the abutilon which grows near the golden gate, the sycamores were deliriously happy when moved to utah (and no!! i did not START an invasion)....there were already sycamores in utah, but like the "oak" and other trees, they were scrubby and their seed pods were always immaturish--i wanted a REAL tree that'd grow tall and be glorious----and it was!!!!! (simpering ms. i am)
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.
snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

They're green until they're about ready to fall off the tree. Some people gather them together and make Xmas wreaths out of them -- gold paint, ribbon, etc. The artistic possibilities are endless :-(
--
Cheers,
Bev

And some people use them as slingshot ammunition. ;)
--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy.

Scott wrote:

Not heavy enough unless you figure out how to embed a rock inside.
--
Cheers,
Bev
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.
snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com

Not likely. Never seen spikes on a sycamore pod. Like so many tree parts, the sweetgum/liquidamber pods start out green, turn brown later, then fall to the ground.
Horse chestnut to be exact - aesculus hippeastrum http://www.rfs.org.uk/thirdlevel.asp?ThirdLevelc&SecondLevel4
But, yes, sweet gum is another possibility, and sycamore also........

Pine trees on our street do the same thing. Major pain in the ***. When they're not dropping spiky seeds, they're dripping resin on our car tops, and they're *always* dropping needles all over.
(However, I understand needles are good addition to compost - yes/no?)
Somebody on the street went to the City Council years ago to get those trees replaced, but he was disrespected, as he reported.
City is also full of Ficus, which pushes up sidewalks.
Who the )**&&%$)_ okayed putting those in years ago? Couldn't have been an accredited arborist.
Persephone
presley wrote:

Sycamore pods are smooth and burst sort of like cat-tails, but not as bad. I'll bet on the sweetgum/liquidambar.

--
Cheers, Bev