Aggressive runners...

...strrawberry, that is.
I have 3 varieties planted in maybe too-small area this year.
They are aggressively sending out runners.
In the past (another area) I used to cut off the runners and plant the rooted end elsewhere.
Should I now:
a. throw away the runners?
b. plant them between rosebushes there is sufficient room)
c. enlarge the area (involves a LOT of work digging up & amending horrible lawn).
d. plant them between veggies. In that case, which ones to AVOID?
Tx for your thoughts.
Persephone
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:08:25 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Please, folks- somebody decide for me what I should do with these aggressive runners, before a tendril comes through the open window while I'm asleep...<g>
P.
Persephone wrote:

a few years and the 'runners'/daughter plants should be encoraged to bear fruit. Dunno if that means digging up the mother, shifting the runners over or replanting or ????
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:20:59 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, these plants are brand new! I just put them in about 3 months ago. They just started to bear this month, and already the runners are going nuts!
Persephone wrote:

I 6think that's the nature of them. Indeed, the very name seems to come from 'strewn about' - not 'straw' as many people think (grown in/on top of straw, etc.).
I suggest either more searching ( try www.davesgarden.com ) or do an experiment and pinch the runners back on a plant to compare to the others. Also, Sow Teat/Alpine strawberries have a more upright habit I think, maybe switch to that variety? Honestly I;m just guessing as thois is our first year with strawberries, there seems to be a lot of misinformation and 'old wives tales' associated with them. One person told us they wouldn't bear fruit until they were root bound!
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)