Advice needed - how to save Elephant Ears and caladiums for next year.

Hello,

I'm in CT, zone 5. I have a bunch of elephant ears and caladiums in pots on my deck and one of elephant ears in my tub water garden. When do I removed them from the pots and what procedure do I follow to save the tubers for planting next year?

ctlady

Reply to
ctlady

Elephant ears: Wash the soil off the bulbs. Trim roots to 1/2" long, and using a very sharp knife, but the stalk to within about 1" of the bulb. Let the bulb dry for a few days, but not in direct sun. Get some fine vermiculite from a garden center. Bag the bulbs in vermiculite and store in a cool spot in your cellar. Optional step, but a good idea: Real garden centers sell powdered sulfur. Put some into a bag, add the bulbs, close bag, and shake, like you were dusting chicken pieces with flour. Tap off the excess and store as previously explained. This will lessen the chances of rotting. You can use other fungicides for this, but you may not feel comfortable handling the bulbs afterward, unless you put on gloves.

I don't have a lot of experience with the other caladium varieties. Someone else will have to chime in.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I tried to pull the caladium's which were then dried and coated in sulfur. Then stored them near my basement heater in peat moss. Checked on an added a few drops of water once in awhile. This did not stop bulb shrinkage so I treat them like annuals. I interplant with my hostas. Pricey but I only grow about 20 plants usually white with red veins or just white. Elephant ears I plant close to my septic tank and they over winter usually.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner