A hard time with moss & rocks

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there garden, I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with getting moss to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get moss growing on rocks successfully.
Many thanks for any advise offered.
Best wishes Terry
--
Terry Coker

have you tried blending the moss with buttermilk or yogurt & painting the mixture onto the rocks? are the rocks moist & shaded? smooth or rough? lee

We used dried powder milk. Very Acid.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

Face the rock north and keep watered.
--

- Billy

grows on soil between rocks and on various organic materials, like tree bark and decaying wood. Lichens grow on a mineral based substance (rocks), and like dry and full sun. Moss likes wet and shade. One can get moss to grow in rocks if first they attach some sort of organic, but the moss still will not be growing directly on the rocks and once the organic material is depleted, which won't be very long, the moss will die.

Uh, now I'm all confused. Could some one identify the moss like plant growing on the rocks, and the lichen kinda stuff growing on the branch in the folder "Garden" at <http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u Hmmm? Bwhahahaha
--

- Billy

I had heard to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.
In article

I mentioned powder milk earlier and thought the spores would find away. But taking moss and blending it with milk faster should work the peanut butter is sort of a spreader sticker. I have moss growing on my concrete pond wall after much time. Years. Now I try to keep it off my roof and brick patio.
<
http://imgur.com/9gq6p.jpg Quite a contrast!

Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

I think that's what they call a lawn in Seattle;O)
--

- Billy

shaded, so mosses can be made to grow rather easily. But if you have moss growing on your roof (you don't display that picture) it could be indicative of a serverely damaged roof, with lots of well rotted wood under the mossy areas... have that checked out right away, before it suddenly collapses and kills people... I see what appears to be a lot of people in your moss picture... If they are gathering under your mossy roof they could own you... and now that you've apprised the world that you know of this condition your insurance won't help you. But I don't believe that's a picture of your home patio, it's too well orchestrated and cropped, looks like a commercial establishment with very professional landscaping (restaurant/caterer, golf course lodge), looks lifted off the net or a picture of an affair you attended... anyone owns a home with such a patio isn't going to have moss growing on their roof. Have you a few more views from a different perspective and a much wider angle, and without the people in formal dress... should be able to post those in like ten minutes if that's your home. Bill who putters, eh... that sure looks like a golf course patio to me... the 19th hole. LOL According to the Properties that image was lifted today. I can lift similar pictures from the web sites of the golf coures I frequent.

You seem to have difficulties with the English medium. Just because you see some thing does not mean it is tied to the above wording.. The Image stands alone.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

Why, did I make any typos?
You seem to have difficulties with ethics.

Where, oh great anal sphincter, did Bill Who Putters claim ownership? Do you not understand, oh great anal sphincter, that the picture represents what can be done with moss, peanut butter or yogurt, aside? Maybe, oh great anal sphincter, you should go back to cutting and pasting from About.com. It is better suited to you, oh great anal sphincter. Foul language, dirty ideas, clueless observations, and groundless accusations really aren't needed in any of the newsgroups. So, guess you know where you can go, and what you can do.
--

- Billy

Another pointless post, attempting to denigrate those who do know. Of course it's not his house, you waste of space.
--

- Billy

"Slithering Billy" hisses:

talking about their own mossy roof and patio with no other identifying explanation... so if you are going to support that aberrant behavior that makes you a smarmy know nothing waste of protoplasm. But I already knew that you were never to be trusted, Slithering Billy, who never sows any seeds other than those of hate and discontent, and canned beans down his maw because all he produces here is a malodius miasma... Billy, you stink. And were it in error the poster should have been a man and apologized with pictures of his own moss rather than alibi.

Strange
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

He ssssssscertainly is ;O)
--

- Billy

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:05:53 -0400, Bill who putters

Very. And oddly disturbing.
Charlie

Funny coming from someone who has never been stand-up.
So tell me, now that we are talking about men, what is wrong with the name Christian?
Newsgroups: rec.gardens Subject: Re: I would like some feedback.. Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
Christian wrote:

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't own a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at a loss.

That's your second untruth.

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your name.
--

- Billy

Billy the laughing lunatic doesn't know there's such a thing as a dictionary because he hasn't a clue what the word "typically" means. And "like" does not mean is'.
===== d to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.
==== Might sometimes work, but only temporarilly... soon as the peanut butter and milk are depleted so will the moss die. The Japanese keep goldfish alive in what amounts to a humongous bowl of water, so long as they continue to feed them, aerate and filter the water, and perform whatever other rmaintenence. All "gardening" in of itself strictly means creating and maintaining an artificial environment in which to grow plants, so is farming. Some plants are relatively easy to grow, and practically grow on their own, while others require tremendous effort. Growing moss is one of the more difficult plants... that's why moss was chosen for that old adage about a rolling stone.
It's easy to grow moss on stones if one already has or creates the proper environment, like moss can easily be made to grow on stones in a well shaded gently flowing stream. I have many such areas on my property where moss readily grows all by itself on rocks... and then on the same rock where the sun strikes there is an abrupt demarcation where moss stops and lichens begin. I have miles of rock walls, where they meander through the deep woods and meet up with a small stream they are blanketed with mosses, where they leave the woods and enter the sunny meadow the same kind of rocks grow layer upon layer of lichens. Every year I grow both mosses and lichens on rocks... when I dig an offending rock out of my lawn areas I need to put is somewhere, I typically lug it to wherever is closest, if added to a wall in the shady wet woods it doesn't take long to grow mosses, if out in the sunny meadow it begins to become covered with lichens in about three years... mosses typically grow a lot faster. Were I to exchange their places (which I have occasionly done) mosses would quickly grow atop the lichens, and with the other the moss would die rather quickly and lichens would slowly emerge. There are likely some mosses that will grow in sun so I were you I'd search for the Jif peanut butter moss (do you like smooth or chunky), perhaps add some concord grape jelly fertilizer. Oh, and that glass of ice cold milk is a necessary ingredient.