Can't deal with moss

Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh!

Reply to
ckeely

Moss is a sign of clean air and a healthy atmosphere, besides, it's building up coal reserves for future generation/species! Best way to remove moss from a lawn is to rake it. Good exercise too.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Get in your RV and choke the shit out of it?

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

What's wrong with moss? Anyway it's just a fact of life in this climate

- and more so in Ireland or Wales where it's wetter and warmer. And lichen too. Learn to love it.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

You can buy moss killer for use on paths and masonry from Wilkinsons and the usual DIY/gardening centres. Lawn moss killer is also available usually combined with a lawn fertiliser and general weed killer. I have used both types and they worked fine.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

My old bungalow had a thick blanket of roof moss on the South side apart from the area around sloping down from the chimney - I believe due to the copper flashing. I'm sure I read adding a copper strip along the roof ridge can be effective over a wide area.

Reply to
dom

Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

|ckeely wrote: | |> Anyone know of a good moss killer? I'm new to the UK from Texas in the |> US - very hot, no moss. Now we have moss on the shingles, moss on the |> brick walls, moss in the garden...ugh! | |Ferric chloride (FeCl2) is pretty instant - many of the bog standard |moss killers contain it. Moss will look black for a while.

Do nothing, it looks nice. In the West Riding, we encourage algae on York Stone. The recipe used to be cow muck. water and soot. Nowadays we are more refined and use milk or watered down Yoghurt.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I was told by a roofer, but can't confirm from experience, that running a bare copper wire along the highest point of the roof will inhibit moss and lichen. Something about copper salts in the downwash.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time!

Reply to
dom

And slimy moss on paths in wet winter weather is dangerous, especially to disabled/elderly people.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I get a load of moss on my north facing garage roof. It rolls off and clogs the gutter and gets squashed on the driveway. It doesn't appear on the sunny side though - maybe because it dries out quicker.

I like the copper strip idea.

Reply to
andyv

The message from "ckeely" contains these words:

It's a natural feature of living somewhere with weather instead of climate.

Reply to
Guy King

But for a limited period only, like a year.

john2

Reply to
john2

Were the 'subtleties' of my post lost on you?

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

:-) Not on me. I suspect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A year is probably a good compromise between frequent re-application and putting down something that turns the garden into a barren wasteland for the next ten generations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Grumble, grumble, I wanted to say that!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

"Alan Holmes" wroete:

Sorry Alan.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

|>> There comes a point where it's blocking your gutters all the time! |>

|> And slimy moss on paths in wet winter weather is dangerous, especially to |> disabled/elderly people. | |Grumble, grumble, I wanted to say that!

Grumble grumble, why do you assume that all elderly have physical problems.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop