50 year old Camellia and Azalea dropping blossoms

I live in Van Nuys, Southern California, zip 91402. Both my 50 year old Camellia and an approximately 35 year old Azalea just produced a beautiful set of blossoms this spring.

The camellia began dropping fully open and partially open flowers almost immediately after the bush was loaded with blossoms. Is this normal behavior for camellias in this Southern Calif location? This bush has dropped flowers for several seasons. I am careful not to feed prior or during blossom time. How can I prevent blossom drop? How long should the open blossoms remain open and on the bush at my location?

The Azalea, very near the Camellia also opened a huge number of very colorful blossoms. For the last week or so, the fully open blossoms are falling off. Is blossom dropping this early in spring normal for my location? How many weeks should open blossoms remain open and on the bush. Again, I am careful to not feed before or during blossom time.

Taank you for suggestions and reports of typical behavior from Southern Calif. folks. I am having similar troubles with a Gardenia bush in the same exposure and flower bed. The Gardenia bush drop most of its leaves last fall. Replacement new leaf growth are very small and slow despite feeding.

Many thanks, Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_S

I suggest you contact Descanso Gardens in La Cañada Flintridge about this question. They are between you and Pasadena, off the 210 Freeway. The main feature of Descanso Gardens is its forest of old camellia bushes. This was originally the estate of Manchester Boddy, a newspaper publisher in Los Angeles who also had a side business of supplying cut camellias to florists.

See .

Reply to
David E. Ross