50% wisteria mulch in my soil

I just mixed a significant amount (possibly as much as 50%) of chipped/shreaded wisteria "branches" and leaves into a raised bed. I'm hoping it will mulch and then compost. I then put crocus and chionodoxa bulbs in the bed.

Is wisteria bad mulch or compost? I know the amount is a bit much and that I didn't wait for it to compost, but.......

Now the lady I did this for offered to buy top soil to add. That's great but do you think it should wait till spring when the bulbs die out? I'm tempted to just disturb and rebury the bulbs now. Is the 3-4" depth critical for the bulbs mentioned above? As it is I just scattered them and raked soil and mulch over them.

I guess there are a couple of questions here. If anyone can untangle them, I love some advice.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Meric

That's an appropriate depth for those bulbs, so burying them under several more inches of topsoil might not be best. Planting them in a mixture of 50% soil and 50% 'green chips' probably wasn't the best thing for them either. I'm concerned the heat from the decomposition will harm the bulbs or bring them out of dormancy way too early.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman