5 Ways to Fix a Kink in a Hose

1. The best fix by far is to throw it out and get a new one. Then you can always fold back the outlet end and tie it closed, drill 1/16-inch holes along the length and use it for watering something. I wouldn't use any garden hose for veggies though because them Chinee rascals put lead in everything.
2. If the old hose is still usable, you can cut it at the kink and put a threaded insert on each end. Just be sure that the insert is the right size and not from the 99-cents store. Get a metal one. Or if you get plastic, buy 3-4 and take a radio with you so you can listen to the baseball game to keep you calm while you are breaking one after another or can't get one to stop leaking after working on it for 30 minutes.
3. They also make tube inserts that sometimes work. Or if you have some copper tubing around that fits snug inside the hose, you can connect with that with a couple of hose clamps.
4. And for the extry cheap feller not unlike myself... if the hose will stay open at the kink when it's straight, fasten something to the hose to act like a splint to keep that section from bending. Ideal is another length of hose that will bend slightly, or the hose could kink again near the ends of the splint.
5. After trying 2-4, go back to number 1.
Guv Bob

What am I missing? Hose kinks, re-arrange it a little and un-kink it. Been doing that for over 50 years. Am I doing something wrong?
--
Dan Espen

writes:

I have never had this happen either. One kink shuts collapsed the wall and it retains the crease. I keep forgetting that the Chinese will put any kind of crap in a box and ship it.
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:54:47 PM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:

can always fold back the outlet end and tie it closed, drill 1/16-inch hole s along the length and use it for watering something. I wouldn't use any g arden hose for veggies though because them Chinee rascals put lead in every thing.
WHATTTTT! Lead in a garden hose? Why would they use lead? What function could it have in a rubber (or plastic) hose? Straight question!
HB

Higgs Boson said:

Yep. Most often from cheap brass fittings but it is also used as a 'stabilizer' in the plastic, to protect it from weathering. Water that has been sitting in the hose since its last use can have quite high levels of lead. Fresh water flowing though it, not so much.
Also, phthlalates and BPA (plasticizers) can be present in high amounts in any PVC hose (even those labeled lead free). Again, highest concentrations are in water that has been sitting in the hose for a while.
So, best practice is to drain your hose after use. Letting it run a bit to flush out any 'stagnant' water before using it is also recommended. Storing it out of the sun is also a good idea.
So my mother was right, all those years ago: don't drink water right out of the hose. Though her explanation was that we could get 'trench mouth' from the dirty water sitting in the hose.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

It's unwise to consume water from general purpose garden hose... the major hose manufacturers produce hoses especially designated for potable water; used on RVs, boats, etc. Such hoses are easily identifiable because they are typically blue or white and marked "Potable". http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=Garden_Hose&storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-10-Fresh-Water-Hose/14504300
'Guv Bob[_2_ Wrote: > ;985905']1. The best fix by far is to throw it out and get a new one. > Then you can always fold back the outlet end and tie it closed, drill > 1/16-inch holes along the length and use it for watering something. I > wouldn't use any garden hose for veggies though because them Chinee > rascals put lead in everything.

> a threaded insert on each end. Just be sure that the insert is the > right size and not from the 99-cents store. Get a metal one. Or if you > get plastic, buy 3-4 and take a radio with you so you can listen to the > baseball game to keep you calm while you are breaking one after another > or can't get one to stop leaking after working on it for 30 minutes.

> some copper tubing around that fits snug inside the hose, you can > connect with that with a couple of hose clamps.

> stay open at the kink when it's straight, fasten something to the hose > to act like a splint to keep that section from bending. Ideal is > another length of hose that will bend slightly, or the hose could kink > again near the ends of the splint.

Have a HOSE HOLDER! I think this will help solve the kinks
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: hoseholder.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 694| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
weathervanes

[...]
------ A year later.....
Same hose. More kinks. Cut some little pieces off the end, cut down the side, wrapped them around a couple of new kinks, and fastened in place with hose mending tape. That tape really works great - it fuses to itself. Took 10 minutes. Total cost $1 for the tape at the dollar store. Used the same threaded adapater, except replaced the plastic parts with a 50-cent hose clamp. 4 inches shorter, but no leaks or kinks, ready for another year.
"Guv Bob" wrote:
Slip a short metal coil compression spring over the hose kink that has an ID to match the hose OD... for a 3/4" hose one spring less than a buck: http://www.springsfast.com/compression-springs.php?ex p549-w03sdv-0&gclid=CKSBrKXrhr8CFSwS7AodqG0AiQ
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:14:13 -0400, Brooklyn1

It's also easy to make ones own springs from "Music Wire": http://www.grainger.com/category/music-wire/carbon-steel/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-mbx
Can even use stainless steel music wire: http://www.grainger.com/category/stainless-steel-music-wire/stainless-steel/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-nz3
If you have an in with a local machine shop they will probably give you a short length of music wire for free or will even make your spring in a few minutes on an engine lathe. But it's not very difficult to wind a spring by hand on any round stock, a piece of pipe, a wooden dowel, a broom stick. As a Master Tool & Diemaker for nearly 50 years I've custom wound thousands of springs. For a kinked garden hose a spring wound from a scrap piece of of solid copper electrical wire would suffice. Wrapping the kink with a piece of Gorilla Glue tape would reform the hose... everyone should have Gorilla Glue products at home: http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape I can come up with a hundred more solutions.
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:54:47 PM UTC-4, Guv Bob wrote:

I've enjoyed this post - not only reasonable, rational and true - but also funny!
And I have tried all of them - I go for the fattest gauge hose I can find at Home Depot (fire hose if I can get it) - that helps kinks not form to often or be too damaging when they do.

also funny!

find at Home Depot (fire hose if I can get it) - that helps kinks not form to often or be too damaging when they do.
All my patched hoses are short, cut to various lengths for different things around the house. 6-8 years ago one of the neighbors decided to shoot off fireworks and one landed on the neighbors and bounced inside through his sliding door. Neighbor still does this starting July 1st until he runs out of fireworks. So I went out and bought a "good" hose long enough to reach around the house and inside all the room. That hose is still like new - don't remember the brand or type, but it's black, thicker than usual hoses and hasn't kinked so far. Cost was under $30.
On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 8:54:47 AM UTC+10, Guv Bob wrote:

[...]

Try doing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTiEyXUza8