1. Companion planting 2. drowned seeds

  1. I goofed by planting rows of green onion seed between rows of already emerged spinach. My companion planting chart (viewed after the fact ) shows that onions are incompatible w/spinach. Looking for your opinion/experience in similar situations. Will spinach be badly affected?

  1. This is So. Calif coastal. We have FINALLY had several nice rains (yay!!!!) soft, not brutal, but I wonder if they might have drowned seeds, since I don't plant too deep. Any experience out there?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I'd take most companion planting advice with a large grain of salt :-) The jury is still out on how pertinent or reliable that info is.......it is somewhat akin to planting by the phases of the moon. Some folks swear by it but there is no real scientific evidence to support the bulk of the premise.

However, if you look at common companion planting charts, while combining onions and spinach is not suggested, it is also not discouraged. In other words they are not recommended companions but neither are they incompatible.

Most seeds are not planted very deeply. Drowning is not usually a concern - washing away can be. If your recent rains were not gully- washers, then your seeds should be fine and will have appreciated that moisture.

Reply to
gardengal

I am inclined to agree. The proponents take the idea of allelopathy and extend it to way beyond the bounds that are supported by the available evidence. Don't get me started on moonplanting.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott