winter weeding

hello all,
i'm new to this forum and new to the allotment plot i've just secured
its covered in weedy grass
just wondering on the best way to approach the weeding
i sprayed one third with roundup last week end but am now abit concerned that due to the time of year there will be little new weed growth and that this method will be ineffective...

People will want to know where (generally) you are located. I've always preferred to just put a heavy mulch over the new plot over winter to smother the weeds and keep the ground warm enough for earthworms to devour the remains. Assuming you can get enough old leaves, etc. for mulch. A layer of newspaper right on the ground helps, assuming printers there are using environmentally safe ink. They are here (Northeastern U.S.), and we're hardly at the forefront of things ecological.
Peace,
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1200' elevation. NY WO G
Thanks Gary, I'm based near Manchester, England.
The plot is covered in weedy grass, I think I will remove this stuff. Turn the soil, let any new weeds spring up, treat and remove them then cover up for the winter.