Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

Meh, coconut oil has a high smoke point and a sweet flavor so is seriously suitable as a cooking oil.

When I'm going for the health benefits of specific oils, I'll steam veggies then coat them lightly with the uncooked oil before adding my spices.

And yes, I actually do do that. ;-) With Olive, Coconut and Grape Seed.

Reply to
Omelet

Most common.

.223 is not quite the same as .22. Same diameter, but a considerably larger powder load. Muzzle velocity exceeds 3,000 fps. You don't get that with .22. It hits with explosive force. You should see what it does to to a prairie dog at 100 yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there won't be enough left of it to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating so yes, I do use either a BB gun or .22 for them and bunnies.

Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans. This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:

I repeat, Squirrel is good eating. I just skin them wet (to keep the fur from shedding), clean and quarter them, then lightly fry them in olive oil and lemon pepper. They are quite toothsome.

Damn. :-(

Reply to
Omelet

True but it was the Annie Oakley image that made me think of it.

Holy mackerel, you sure don't. Very interesting! Not much prairie dog left I imagine.

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.

At least one deer got into the garden last night and polished off the tops of all the chard and a couple rows of beans. It must have figured out how to get under the wire. So... it looks like I won't have as many beans to freeze. I'm just sooooo disappointed (NOT). I did nine pints of chile sauce the other day... probably my last decent haul of tomatoes. Too wet this year for a big tomato haul. The cukes are still doing well.... I just can't believe it.

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

I'm not a bad shot, but no Annie Oakley. ;-)

It was gutted from end to end. Died instantly. The concept of "varmint rifles".

No, it's a very good brand of firearm. A lot of PD's use that brand in carbines.

It's actually a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of power for almost no recoil which allows you to stay on target faster with a semi-auto. Of course tho', military AR-15's have an alternate setting for a 3 round full auto burst. Not legal for us civilians without the AFT licensing.

It actually should be adequate for hogs.

The only problem with Bushmaster is their price, but then again, you get what you pay for up to a point. Taurus makes really reliable and durable firearms too. My favorite 9mm that I own is the Taurus PT-92. A Beretta clone. Taurus bought the Beretta factory in Brazil so why not build what it was already tooled for?

That gun has only mis-fired once on a round of snake shot I was testing. Snake shot goes better in revolvers, not semi-autos so I was not too put out.

Flavor or texture? Just curious. I do respect individual tastes. But of course, my squirrels are grain fed. They eat the hen scratch I put out for my pigeons.

What other type of game do you get to put in your freezer?

Oh crap.

Glad your garden is doing well. :-) I'm getting a bumper crop of Petins, most of which will be fed to the Cockatoo. She needs the vitamin C.

Reply to
Omelet

OK, Calamity Jane then. ;)

I'm getting a real education here. My dad would be very impressed.

Must be all those bitter acorns and black walnuts (which I've always detested).

You know... our parrot (blue-fronted Amazon), Wilbur, also loved chile peppers. I gave him to a girl at the pet store, who was dying to have a parrot of her own, when my work schedule was too intense to give him adequate attention. I miss him a lot. She just loved him so much. Unfortunately, Wilbur hated men--- bit the hell out of poor Mr. Bill.

We drove to Louisiana (MO) yesterday and came back with three more standard plum trees--- a Shiro, Starking Delicious, and a Damson. Mr. Bill got two planted today; he had to remove two very old redbuds which was a huge chore. Can't believe we actually got them into the car! We still have not found a potted standard Montmorency. I guess he'll have to order a whip from Miller. Hardly anyone carries the standard anymore.

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

Probably more accurate. ;-)

I'm still learning too. I figure if I'm going to have them, I may as well teach myself about them... Lack of education can be dangerous when it comes to firearms. They may be toys to me, but deadly toys. Kinda like fast cars...

Ah. I've always preferred Pecans to Walnuts! Pecans are common around here. I've been finding green ones in my driveway lately, dropped by Squirrels. Harvest is around the end of September to the end of October. They tend to sprout too when the buggers bury them! I pull up any trees that are too close to my house foundation.

I'd be hard put to give Freya away. She's such a love! Noisy pain in the ass too, but I love her anyway. We built her an aviary on the sun porch to eliminate the destructive issues. Her "cage" is 3' x 8' x 6'. She's a Goffin's cockatoo. Got her for free in 1998 when she appeared in our back yard eating grain with the chickens. :-) I have a scar from capturing her, but it was worth it.

I should take down those two hackberry's out back and plant fruit trees. I need to find out from the Ag extension office what fruit trees will winter over here. I'd probably have to use netting over them tho' to protect the fruit.

On the other hand, it'd be squirrel bait and I might end up with enough squirrel to put in the freezer.

If I chop the hackberry's and leave tall stumps in the ground, I could seed them with mushroom spawn:

Omelet

And the best gravy on the planet...

Reply to
JustTom

Hm. I'll have to save my pan drippings next time!

Reply to
Omelet