Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

Thanks Om, the first link is no longer available but I will read the rest as well as all your posts here.

thanks

Reply to
gunner

Sorry about that. I did check it before posting so it must have just gone down. :-(

Hope the rest helps.

I literally feel your pain if you are having similar issues!

I'm happy to post recipes for the stuff if needed, but some people just can't stand the texture. Fortunately, I happen to like it but individual tastes vary!

Standard stock aromatics. Onion, garlic, carrot, celery, lemon peel, ginger root, pepper.

Salt to taste.

Cheers...

Reply to
Omelet

I do hope you've had a screening TTG done--- though false negatives are not unusual if you're not consuming much gluten.

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

Glucose Tolerance Test?

We've pretty much done away with those and use the HA1C test instead. My A1C level runs around 5.5 to 5.6. Normal is max of 6.5. :-)

I'm not a type II diabetic yet, but I'm trying to head there. It's why I'm being so careful with my diet. Starch (and sugar) have been relegated to "treat" status.

Reply to
Omelet

Gluten, not glucose. :) TTG is "tissue transglutaminase"--- a screening test to check the seriousness of gluten sensitivity, if you've not had it. Health problems you have mentioned are often (but not always) correlated with celiac, especially when occurring in clusters. The extremely high risk of T-cell lymphoma makes it essential to know for sure (and that is why I even mention this at all). Most people with celiac-type gluten sensitivity are sensitive to all forms of gluten in wheat, barley and rye, and sometimes oats as well. However, the effects do not always manifest themselves consistently until an incredible amount of damage is done to both the digestive and immune systems in affected persons. Here is a brief article by Andrew Weil:

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

I'm way too young to be so damned old. Years of living with my house on my back has caught up, still trying to figure out what type. done all the therapy protocols except for the gold so far. Thank god for prednisone and vicodin, but awaiting to see what that lapdance is going to cost me. Tapering now and it is returning.

Interesting study, different than what I thought it would be, still like to see larger studies and more peer review. Just read a study where knee surgery don't relieve the pain anymore than exercise except in joint replacement, but I read the 10 year warranty on that is just for parts and doesn't cover additional diagnostics and labor costs and most likely ya still have to replace it. So I will not get the entire front end replaced quite yet but will do some adjustments later this month.

The thought of feet/hooves is not particularly appealing but I can go with hocks/oxtails to get the collagen, just not in a glue pot kinda way. going to have to come up w/ a recipe with hocks, cabbage, ginger, peppers and turmeric, an Asian meal start already.

Thank again Om

Reply to
gunner

Ah! Thanks. ;-)

No, I've not had that test and can probably not afford it at this time. Even with health insurance, I still can't afford elective health care. They only just started paying for my weekly Chiropractor visits this morning. It was a pleasant surprise to have a credit!

I'll just avoid the wheat-type grains. They make me feel ill most of the time when I eat them, so what's the point? That 15 bean soup I made this past weekend did not agree with me either. :-( Sucks too. It was delicious.

Reply to
Omelet

I'm only 46. Geezus Gunner! You already know the price of Prednisone. :-(

Hope it helps babe! Just remember that nutritional therapy takes time. Won't help overnight. It took me originally around 4 weeks to feel the difference.

I know the sight is unappealing. Debone the trotters to get rid of the "shape" and mash them into soup. ;-)

Ox tails are expensive around here, but OH so good!

Reply to
Omelet

Testing for celiac for someone who already knows they are gluten-sensitive is certainly far from elective. Gluten is in at least half the products on grocery shelves in one form or another so it takes practice and a great deal of diligence to avoid it. For people with this genetic condition (roughly 1 in 100), there is no safe level of gluten. This is a manifestly serious condition that can readily lead to a bevy of other grave health problems or early death if untreated or treated too late. Denial is sometimes a problematic collateral issue because of the extent of diet modification required. But, it's your health and your business. I'll say no more.

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

I appreciate the time you took to post me a warning Isabella. Truly I do! I really do doubt tho' that it'll be a problem for me as I almost totally avoid processed foods.

I live mostly on freshly cooked meat, leafy greens, and fresh and fresh frozen veggies. I don't eat bread or ANY grain products anymore except for some rice, corn and occasionally legumes.

It's a life style. :-)

Cheers babe!

Reply to
Omelet

I kind of hate sticking my nose in offering unsolicited info but I also feel a responsibility since this condition has been so under-diagnosed because US med schools taught that it was rare in the US. It's heartbreaking to see people suffering (and dying) so needlessly.

People often say to me, "I could never live like that"--- a diet absent of wheat, rye and barley that is. We ate at Applebee's the other day due to a power outage and no other places having power. Salad was the only thing they had that I could eat and most of the dressing was out of the question too. All their chicken is bagged & brined with wheat-tainted mixtures. And their ground beef is mixed with TVP which often has wheat. Most everything else is pre-breaded. The waitress said to me, "I could never live on your diet." And all I could think was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

It is very underdiagnosed! I read a pamphlet once I found at the VA emergency room that as many as 1 in 5 people in the US are allergic or sensitive to "wheat proteins".

That's a LOT of people.

Oops! I'll have to watch the dressings! That's one I missed. Right now I'm using mostly a vinegar and oil with herbs. I make my own here at home but often used bottled ones at work.

My favorite dressing is plain lime mayo. ;-d

Very common nowadays. :-(

I'm so glad my local grocery store has fresh ground beef daily! We rarely eat out anymore so that helps a lot too. Most of the food is so WAY oversalted! Even my sister agrees with me so I prepped food here at home then we cooked "in" for her last birthday. We had bacon wrapped steaks and shrimp/mushroom/bacon kebabs, with fresh green salad.

Heh! :-) I feel ya! Breaded meat is a travesty for health in many ways.

Reply to
Omelet

Ps, one thing I noted that when I started eating a more "restricted" diet, it actually became LESS restricted. ;-) I started looking for more things to increase variety so actually eat a greater variety of fresh foods now. Knowing how to cook helps!

I love the asian markets...

Reply to
Omelet

I'm running out of Shaoxing wine so I need to be making a little trip soon myself. Even with that, you have to be careful since some kinds do have wheat in them. (You don't lick envelopes and stamps do you?) We've always eaten a fairly broad diet but my cooking has improved as I've expanded my techniques and preparation methods considerably. For instance, I roast veggies often now and I occasionally deep-fry (never used to at all).

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce, worcestershire sauce... etc.

Isabella

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

Only with a sponge...

I use rice flour or corn starch to deep fry and only wet the food and dredge it lightly. The fear of deep frying is over-rated unless you use thick batters.

I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.

Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. I use peanut oil to deep fry.

Have you tried freezing them?

Reply to
Omelet

More than once, I've heard that rice flour results in a crispier outcome. But they did not say which kind of rice flour or if that makes a difference.

At my regular grocery, a 24 oz container (largest size) of peanut oil costs about $6. I'm looking for another source. I used to use it for wok cooking all the time but switched to extra light olive oil which has a high enough smoking point. I prefer peanut oil though.

Yes. But I'm running out of freezer space. That is my only option.

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

I just bought "rice flour" from the asian market.

Corn starch gives an even crispier coating and also coats better.

If you filter and refrigerate the used oil, it's good for several fryings. For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately, coconut oil. Grape seed is good too.

Get a bigger freezer.

Reply to
Omelet

Ah ha. I knew there was a reason I had that 2# jar.

Yep, I filter and save it.

. I already have considerably more cubic feet of freezer space than I care to admit. We get frequent power outages here, about once every two weeks. So I worry a lot. (no gas here either) Some of that space is taken by gluten-free staples I buy in quantity. And then there's the roughly 60 pounds (so far) of green beans I've frozen from the garden this year. If we had any kind of a pea crop this past spring, I'd be in far greater trouble.

Reply to
Isabella Woodhouse

The man I buy my coconut oil from would scream. Last time I bought it I got a free lecture on how heating the oil will make it not as healthy. I use cold pressed. I don't tell him how I use it....A bit of oil in the bottom of a cup. Stir small amount of cocoa powder into the oil. Add hot coffee, sugar and cream.....mmmmmmm.

Or as oil in the pan for making pancakes. Also replace butter in chocolate cookies.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Nacherally.

I get peanut oil here by the gallon for around $6.00. And it goes on sale around T-day due to the popularity of deep frying whole turkeys.

Ah... I feel your pain. ;-) I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of being allowed to go feral hog hunting.

Reply to
Omelet