Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

Page 3 of 4

Gluten, not glucose. :) TTG is "tissue transglutaminase"--- a screening test to check the seriousness of gluten sensitivity, if you've not had it. Health problems you have mentioned are often (but not always) correlated with celiac, especially when occurring in clusters. The extremely high risk of T-cell lymphoma makes it essential to know for sure (and that is why I even mention this at all). Most people with celiac-type gluten sensitivity are sensitive to all forms of gluten in wheat, barley and rye, and sometimes oats as well. However, the effects do not always manifest themselves consistently until an incredible amount of damage is done to both the digestive and immune systems in affected persons. Here is a brief article by Andrew Weil:
<http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02955/Celiac-Disease.html
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Ah! Thanks. ;-)
No, I've not had that test and can probably not afford it at this time. Even with health insurance, I still can't afford elective health care. They only just started paying for my weekly Chiropractor visits this morning. It was a pleasant surprise to have a credit!
I'll just avoid the wheat-type grains. They make me feel ill most of the time when I eat them, so what's the point? That 15 bean soup I made this past weekend did not agree with me either. :-( Sucks too. It was delicious.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Testing for celiac for someone who already knows they are gluten-sensitive is certainly far from elective. Gluten is in at least half the products on grocery shelves in one form or another so it takes practice and a great deal of diligence to avoid it. For people with this genetic condition (roughly 1 in 100), there is no safe level of gluten. This is a manifestly serious condition that can readily lead to a bevy of other grave health problems or early death if untreated or treated too late. Denial is sometimes a problematic collateral issue because of the extent of diet modification required. But, it's your health and your business. I'll say no more.
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

I appreciate the time you took to post me a warning Isabella. Truly I do! I really do doubt tho' that it'll be a problem for me as I almost totally avoid processed foods.
I live mostly on freshly cooked meat, leafy greens, and fresh and fresh frozen veggies. I don't eat bread or ANY grain products anymore except for some rice, corn and occasionally legumes.
It's a life style. :-)
Cheers babe!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

I kind of hate sticking my nose in offering unsolicited info but I also feel a responsibility since this condition has been so under-diagnosed because US med schools taught that it was rare in the US. It's heartbreaking to see people suffering (and dying) so needlessly.

People often say to me, "I could never live like that"--- a diet absent of wheat, rye and barley that is. We ate at Applebee's the other day due to a power outage and no other places having power. Salad was the only thing they had that I could eat and most of the dressing was out of the question too. All their chicken is bagged & brined with wheat-tainted mixtures. And their ground beef is mixed with TVP which often has wheat. Most everything else is pre-breaded. The waitress said to me, "I could never live on your diet." And all I could think was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

It is very underdiagnosed! I read a pamphlet once I found at the VA emergency room that as many as 1 in 5 people in the US are allergic or sensitive to "wheat proteins".
That's a LOT of people.

Oops! I'll have to watch the dressings! That's one I missed. Right now I'm using mostly a vinegar and oil with herbs. I make my own here at home but often used bottled ones at work.
My favorite dressing is plain lime mayo. ;-d

Very common nowadays. :-(

I'm so glad my local grocery store has fresh ground beef daily! We rarely eat out anymore so that helps a lot too. Most of the food is so WAY oversalted! Even my sister agrees with me so I prepped food here at home then we cooked "in" for her last birthday. We had bacon wrapped steaks and shrimp/mushroom/bacon kebabs, with fresh green salad.

Heh! :-) I feel ya! Breaded meat is a travesty for health in many ways.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the
In article

Ps, one thing I noted that when I started eating a more "restricted" diet, it actually became LESS restricted. ;-) I started looking for more things to increase variety so actually eat a greater variety of fresh foods now. Knowing how to cook helps!
I love the asian markets...
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

I'm running out of Shaoxing wine so I need to be making a little trip soon myself. Even with that, you have to be careful since some kinds do have wheat in them. (You don't lick envelopes and stamps do you?) We've always eaten a fairly broad diet but my cooking has improved as I've expanded my techniques and preparation methods considerably. For instance, I roast veggies often now and I occasionally deep-fry (never used to at all).
What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce, worcestershire sauce... etc.
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

Only with a sponge...

I use rice flour or corn starch to deep fry and only wet the food and dredge it lightly. The fear of deep frying is over-rated unless you use thick batters.
I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.
Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. <g> I use peanut oil to deep fry.

Have you tried freezing them?
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

More than once, I've heard that rice flour results in a crispier outcome. But they did not say which kind of rice flour or if that makes a difference.

At my regular grocery, a 24 oz container (largest size) of peanut oil costs about $6. I'm looking for another source. I used to use it for wok cooking all the time but switched to extra light olive oil which has a high enough smoking point. I prefer peanut oil though.

Yes. But I'm running out of freezer space. That is my only option.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

I just bought "rice flour" from the asian market.
Corn starch gives an even crispier coating and also coats better.

If you filter and refrigerate the used oil, it's good for several fryings. For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately, coconut oil. Grape seed is good too.

Get a bigger freezer. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Ah ha. I knew there was a reason I had that 2# jar.

Yep, I filter and save it.

. <whisper> I already have considerably more cubic feet of freezer space than I care to admit. We get frequent power outages here, about once every two weeks. So I worry a lot. (no gas here either) Some of that space is taken by gluten-free staples I buy in quantity. And then there's the roughly 60 pounds (so far) of green beans I've frozen from the garden this year. If we had any kind of a pea crop this past spring, I'd be in far greater trouble.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

Nacherally.<g>
I get peanut oil here by the gallon for around $6.00. And it goes on sale around T-day due to the popularity of deep frying whole turkeys.

Ah... I feel your pain. ;-) I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of being allowed to go feral hog hunting.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the
In article

Most common.

.223 is not quite the same as .22. Same diameter, but a considerably larger powder load. Muzzle velocity exceeds 3,000 fps. You don't get that with .22. <g> It hits with explosive force. You should see what it does to to a prairie dog at 100 yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there won't be enough left of it to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating so yes, I do use either a BB gun or .22 for them and bunnies.
Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans. This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWVMS24FVAR9.asp

I repeat, Squirrel is good eating. <g> I just skin them wet (to keep the fur from shedding), clean and quarter them, then lightly fry them in olive oil and lemon pepper. They are quite toothsome.

Damn. :-(
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

True but it was the Annie Oakley image that made me think of it. <VBG>

Holy mackerel, you sure don't. Very interesting! Not much prairie dog left I imagine.

And here I thought Bushmaster was either a cucumber or a snake. ;)

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.
At least one deer got into the garden last night and polished off the tops of all the chard and a couple rows of beans. It must have figured out how to get under the wire. So... it looks like I won't have as many beans to freeze. I'm just sooooo disappointed (NOT). I did nine pints of chile sauce the other day... probably my last decent haul of tomatoes. Too wet this year for a big tomato haul. The cukes are still doing well.... I just can't believe it.
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

<giggles> I'm not a bad shot, but no Annie Oakley. ;-)

It was gutted from end to end. Died instantly. The concept of "varmint rifles".

<lol> No, it's a very good brand of firearm. A lot of PD's use that brand in carbines.
It's actually a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of power for almost no recoil which allows you to stay on target faster with a semi-auto. Of course tho', military AR-15's have an alternate setting for a 3 round full auto burst. Not legal for us civilians without the AFT licensing.
It actually should be adequate for hogs.
The only problem with Bushmaster is their price, but then again, you get what you pay for up to a point. Taurus makes really reliable and durable firearms too. My favorite 9mm that I own is the Taurus PT-92. A Beretta clone. Taurus bought the Beretta factory in Brazil so why not build what it was already tooled for?
That gun has only mis-fired once on a round of snake shot I was testing. Snake shot goes better in revolvers, not semi-autos so I was not too put out.

Flavor or texture? Just curious. I do respect individual tastes. But of course, my squirrels are grain fed. <g> They eat the hen scratch I put out for my pigeons.
What other type of game do you get to put in your freezer?

Oh crap.

Glad your garden is doing well. :-) I'm getting a bumper crop of Petins, most of which will be fed to the Cockatoo. She needs the vitamin C.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

OK, Calamity Jane then. ;)

I'm getting a real education here. My dad would be very impressed.

Must be all those bitter acorns and black walnuts (which I've always detested).

You know... our parrot (blue-fronted Amazon), Wilbur, also loved chile peppers. I gave him to a girl at the pet store, who was dying to have a parrot of her own, when my work schedule was too intense to give him adequate attention. I miss him a lot. She just loved him so much. Unfortunately, Wilbur hated men--- bit the hell out of poor Mr. Bill.
We drove to Louisiana (MO) yesterday and came back with three more standard plum trees--- a Shiro, Starking Delicious, and a Damson. Mr. Bill got two planted today; he had to remove two very old redbuds which was a huge chore. Can't believe we actually got them into the car! We still have not found a potted standard Montmorency. I guess he'll have to order a whip from Miller. Hardly anyone carries the standard anymore.
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

Probably more accurate. ;-)

I'm still learning too. I figure if I'm going to have them, I may as well teach myself about them... Lack of education can be dangerous when it comes to firearms. They may be toys to me, but deadly toys. <g> Kinda like fast cars...

Ah. I've always preferred Pecans to Walnuts! Pecans are common around here. I've been finding green ones in my driveway lately, dropped by Squirrels. Harvest is around the end of September to the end of October. They tend to sprout too when the buggers bury them! I pull up any trees that are too close to my house foundation.

I'd be hard put to give Freya away. She's such a love! Noisy pain in the ass too, but I love her anyway. <g> We built her an aviary on the sun porch to eliminate the destructive issues. Her "cage" is 3' x 8' x 6'. She's a Goffin's cockatoo. Got her for free in 1998 when she appeared in our back yard eating grain with the chickens. :-) I have a scar from capturing her, but it was worth it.

I should take down those two hackberry's out back and plant fruit trees. I need to find out from the Ag extension office what fruit trees will winter over here. I'd probably have to use netting over them tho' to protect the fruit.
On the other hand, it'd be squirrel bait and I might end up with enough squirrel to put in the freezer. <eg>
If I chop the hackberry's and leave tall stumps in the ground, I could seed them with mushroom spawn:
http://www.fungi.com /
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

And the best gravy on the planet...
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

Hm. I'll have to save my pan drippings next time!