When to pull up beets

First time beet grower, with a very small patch. How do I know when to harvest them?
Robert in the hills of Tennessee

When they're the size you want... edible at any size.
Enviously (mine are just germinating),
On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:48:40 -0400, Gary Woods
: :>First time beet grower, with a very small patch. How do I know when to :>harvest them?: :When they're the size you want... edible at any size. : :Enviously (mine are just germinating), : :Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic :Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Word of advice - don't let them sit in the ground too long once they are ready for harvest. They will get tough a woody. Been a long time since I grew beets, but I remember the disappointment. Eat the greens, too. Beet greens are very tasty!
Dan
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net