Wheelbarrows as planters

I have no less than a dozen wheelbarrows, some worth $2, and some in very good condition that could be used for heavy lifting. Thing is, we usually don't pass up any under $5.

SWMBO wants some planters made for spring. I think I know to use a rock base for drainage, some potting soil mixed with amendments, a little fertilizers, etc.

I was just wondering how many had made sculptures of any of these, or stacked them in any way. Some may be hung at all angles. Some will be repainted, new wood, varnish, shiny finish, and some will stay looking old, or made to look old. Googled it, but didn't find a lot of anything that caught my attention.

Steve

Got welding and metal stuff, so can make stands easily, just looking for overall visualizations, perhaps actual projects.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I must confess to prejudice here, to me it is an idea that has been so done to death it has gone past being a cliche into parody. The fact that your searching hasn't turned up anything appealing says it all. How much do you like gnomes? If you love them you may learn to love this stuff.

On a practical side the tray is usually shallow in relation to depth so they will tend to dry out in hot weather unless watered attentively. Also unless there are drainage holes no amount of rock base will prevent drowning during prolonged rain. Not ideal planters.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

they are ok for very hardy and drought tolerant plants, but otherwise they are too shallow. adding rocks for drainage means even less root space.

we have a few. they get blown over. i'd recycle them but Ma likes how they look.

yes, David, cliche. for fun we'll have ladders this year. supposedly for cucumber trellises... *sigh* :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird