What's your verdict?

Page 3 of 3
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

But it is true that raised beds consume more water. There is more exposed surface. Sunken beds preserve water best. Raised beds are great for everything else, and of course the loss is minimized if one uses drip, which allows the water to soak in.

Hm, I wonder if we are talking about two different concepts?
My "raised beds" are built out of Cinder blocks or limestone. They are essentially giant planters. :-) This concentrates the water usage considerably for me...
--
Peace!
Om

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

And I add a generous amount of peat into my raised beds. The water retention is phenomenal.
..
Zone 5a in Canada's Peat-abundant Far East.
cloud dreamer wrote:

Yes, we are. By raising, you can only lose water, with respect to the same setup, at a lower elevation. it is not only the increased surface, but the bits of debris creating gaps, the vole/mole tunnels, and anything that lets water out in between the cinder blocks or under them.

you could do that in sunken beds as well. The difference is that you would have to dig up soil and replace it with peat. There is nothing in raising the soil level that improves water retention. Water flows downhill.

What about container gardens?
--
Peace!
Om

I have never been able to raise a container.
--
J.C.

<snork> Very funny...... ;-D
I was talking about big pots! <lol> But you knew that.....
I've had good luck using 5 gallon pots for tomatoes with a water tray underneath. I did very little gardening this year due to the expense of the water. I need to re-do my greenhouse setup and move everything inside....
The summers here are just getting to be too hot and dry!
South Central Texas.
--
Peace!
Om

What town are you close to? We're over around Eagle Lake, East Bernard area.
--
J.C.

Between Buda and New Braunfels. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

Well gollyyyyyyy, you've got the river to cool off in, all that cold beer to drink, you get to listen to Roger Creager every now and then. Me, all I've got is rice fields, water moccasins, alligators, killer bees, dust, dust and more dust and that danged POLKA MUSIC!!!
--
J.C.

J.C. wrote:

Stop it! You're making me homesick.
Best regards, Bob <-- Native Texan living in Minnesota

Yeah, I bet.

More than one actually.

Wine coolers. Can't stand beer. <G>

Heh. Between the German community in New Braunfels and the Hispanics in the neighborhood, I get to hear that stuff too.
And the dance studio across the street keeps it's darned door open when the weather is nice and TAP DANCES! That drives me up the friggin' wall. <sigh>
--
Peace!
Om

I wonder abt containers gardens as well..... vs raised bed
They really are more alike than different tho right?

Pots conserve water even better, especially with a tray underneath them. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

simy1 wrote:

I use 2x8s to raise my beds. Our soil is incredibly rocky (they call the island the Rock for a reason), so to get some decent space to grow things like turnip, potato and carrots, I have not choice but to raise the beds. The surface area is not much more. There are no holes or water escaping through the lumber. No voles or moles either.
I guess that's the whole point. Every location really lends itself to a certain type of gardening. Loosening the soil six to eight inches down here is a major chore...so we go up. Water retention is really a secondary concern...especially since it rarely gets hot enough for prolonged evaporation to be a concern (average 21 in the summer).
..
Zone 5a in Canada's Cool Rocky Far East.
J.C. wrote:

Since you have no definitive answer, you will have to do "the experiment". Next time you start plants, leave half of them in the cups when you plant but take every other one out of the cup. See how the growth of the two methods turns out. I can't help but wonder if the cup holds the water around the stems longer that some plants can tolerate.
Steve

We did that this year. Didn't notice that much difference. But, holding the water longer than can be tolerated is a good point. Might be something to that.
--
J.C.