Turkeys vs Lopes and Melons

We need help, quick. We thought earlier this year how cool it is to have wild turkeys around. That coolness has gone with the invasion of the beasts into the lope and watermelon patch! The *&^%$#@! critters are feasting on 3-4 lopes and a couple of watermelons each day. Any advise appreciated, I lost the heart for hunting a few years ago, but I find it returning rapidly. TIA, ken
Fence your garden area, don't blame the turkeys, you invaded their space.
cindy
critters are feasting on

Not necessarily. Where I live, turkeys have be salted into the hills, which was their natural habitat--150 years ago. Now it's my backyard. We've yet to figure what the point of putting them there is, discharging firearms is illegal, there's never hunting allowed, the entire area is populated, and the birds raise hell with everyone's yards. Gee, we had wolves and grizzly bears around here too, as late as 1920--I don't hear anyone talking about rebuilding the griz population in the neighborhood.... Then there were sabertooth cats at one point....
Fortunately there's still mountain lions. Maybe they can catch some of the turkeys.

That's HIGHLY subjective. They used to call it a food chain. Now they call it a food web. Either way, the space is shared by many different animals, some of them prey, some of them predators.
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 07:39:45 -0400 in

you only need to hunt one.... and leave the carcass there in the patch. and then, Thanksgiving <is> just around the corner....
i had nearly the same problem w/ rabbits and deer this year. i put up 10' tposts with rabbit fence along the bottom and a fencing to keep deer out up higher.
if it were up to me, i'd have those turkey replace what they're eating w/ their own hide (wild turkey is very tasty). i would've done the same w/ the rabbit and deer but i didn't want to listen to all the wife's griping about it so......the fence was the lesser of all evils....
critters are feasting on