Tomato Soup?

Does anyone have a good reciepe for tomato soup?
Go ask the folks on <rec.food.preserving> They'll give you 37 different opinions on the best tomato soup and they'll all be good : )
Jan

Here's the recipe we like. From Jacques Pepin's Kitchen: Cooking with Claudine more or less......
Tomato Potage
1T olive oil 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered 1 T flour 1 1/2 C water 2 lbs. tomatoes, quartered 1 clove garlic 1 - 4" sprig thyme 1 t sugar 1/2 t pepper 3/4 t salt 2 T butter
Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in water and mix well.
Add remaining ingredients through the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Strain mixture by putting it through a food mill. Alternatively - puree in a food processor and then push through a strainer to remove skin and seeds.
Stir in butter and whisk to incorporate.
Yield - 6 cups
marcella
;6%BI:Q$E8&H':]E ``#L` ` end

Tomato-corn chowder
Saute' one carrot, plus 6 garlic cloves or one small onion, minced, in 2 tbsp vegetable oil. When they change color, add a couple thinly sliced zucchini, five or six sliced okra, one pound of chopped tomatoes, and the kernels of two cobs. Add water, bouillon, and spices to taste (we add salt, fresh sorrel, and one chili). Simmer for half an hour and serve.
that tomato corn chowder sounds to DIE FOR!
It sounds like a dish that my grandmother used to make, although I never got the recipe for it.

Here's a very easy tomato soup recipe:
Bring to the boil 2 chopped tomatoes in a few tablespoons of water add 1 can tomato soup and water to give desired consistency reheat nearly to a simmer
See, I said it was easy. :-)

John Savage wrote:

I'm not sure but I think that just might be cheating. ;-)
Steve

You mean a smooth soup a la Campbell's canned? Try this:
Put a little olive oil in a wide, shallow pan. Saute some diced celery, onion, & carrot until soft but not browned -- garlic as desired. Add coarsely chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes until the skins show signs of separating. Put all this through a food mill and into a regular pot. Discard solids (skin, seeds, etc.) Season puree with S&P. You can now reduce this mixture a bit and then add chicken or veg broth (leave out salt if using commercial products), milk, or cream to the desired consistency.
The food mill part is handy because you don't have to peel and de-seed the tomatoes before cooking.