Tomato Rootstck

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:52:01 -0800, clevermonkey wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/auxul
--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
`..`-> freemont <-`..
freemont wrote:

1) I didn't know you could search Google that way. I'll have to remember that trick.
2) All that explains what a rootstock is but what on earth is a tomato rootstock? Did someone actually develop a variety of tomato that needs to be grafted??
Steve
On 1/26/06 9:11 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, "Steve"

I do remember an article in the New Yorker about someone who grafted a tomato plant onto locoweed rootstock. The locoweed toxin ended up in the tomatoes to the health detriment of the man's family.
Bill
-- Ferme le Bush
There are some tomatos that are more resistant to nematodes and other soil-borne diseases. So grafting some less resistant heirloom varieties onto those roots would help. The stem might even convey other disease resistance up into the scion. So it's not really a crazy idea, just more than most people would undertake. And as for grafting onto locoweed as mentionned elsewhere in this thread, now that's crazy! Either he's pulling everyone's leg or he knows nothing about grafting. Gary

On 1/27/06 3:35 PM, in article h2yCf.25096$C% snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net,

Loco weed also known as jimson weed is related to nightshade plants such as tomatoes or tobacco. IIRC, it was done as a lark. Check out the Annals of Medicine in the New Yorker of at least 30 years ago.
Bill
-- Ferme le Bush
Berton Roueche in his book "The Medical Detectives" [Washington Square Press 1982] wrote of a case from October 28, 1963 in Caney Valley Tennessee where 5 people became weirdly ill after eating a tomato that was grown on a tomato plant grated onto a Jimson weed. The grower was trying to produce a late frost-resistant tomato. Which it was, but it nearly killed him. Jimson weed, like tomatoes and Irish potatoes and nightshade are all members of Solanaceae.
His book is derived from his columns "Annals of Medicine" in the New Yorker, and the original column was from 1965.
Well done, Bill! I just happened to have the book on the shelf so I could look it up, but you remembered the name of the column, the periodical and nearly the right decade!
David.
Salmon Egg wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:11:41 -0500, Steve wrote:

Sounds like a bareroot to me- you get a root with a stem sticking out of it, and you stick it into some dirt, and the stem makes a plant. I grew my tarragon this way. Never heard of growing tomatoes like this, but who knows?
--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
`..`-> freemont <-`..

What catalog was this in?
--
Susan N.

I'm pretty sure I saw the tomato rootstock thing in a Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog.
Tomato root stock is high resistant tomato plant or their seeds. Tomato plant grafting widely practiced in Asia with Japan being a leader. Two of the most popular are Maxifort and Beaufort. Check out this link to learn more: https widely ://www.new-agri.co.uk/98-2/focuson.html Just do a search on yahoo or google for "tomato grafting" . I am planning on do this for disease resistant plants. Its new to the USA but old hat like I said in Asia.
JEM