Tomato height/size caging/staking

Two of my three tomato plants are outgrowing their cage/stakes.

I have a indeterminate with a 4'+ above ground stake. The plant is easily a foot taller than the stake and growing. Since I've got two months till frost concerns I'm thinking it might get bigger.

If I anchor twine up above it (off the porch landing) and run the twine down to the stake...would that be enough support for it? The stake is secure (buried almost a foot).

For the determinate bush I had a 15" square, 32" high cage. I am thrilled to say that it is two FEET taller than the cage with lots of tomatoes growing. I kept on thinking it wasn't going to grow much larger.

A side question...how the heck do you inspect these plants for bugs. I can barely see inside them! And I bought cages with 8" spacing for my big fat hands.

These cages are stackable and I have another. Should i try and fit the second cage over? (with another's help) WIth determinates all the fruit comes within a shorter amount of time, right? So... is it gonna stop growing now? It is past the estimated harvest date but I expect them late because of the wet&cold May and soaked June. THe biggest plums are about half the size I expect them to be, but I still have flowers just opening and new stems sprouting.

Thanks for any advice DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound

1st Year Gardener
Reply to
DigitalVinyl

What grows up will also grow down--they go up to the top and then can hang down and head back toward the ground

Reply to
Frankhartx

I use 8' stakes (2' in the ground). When my plants top the stakes (which a couple already have this year) I top them and try to select a side shoot from low on the plant to head up the stake again.

SInce you have some structure overhead and the ability to keep them going up, I'd run up that twine and keep your plants going up.

That's what I'd recommend.

My tomato cages are 4' tall and 2 1/2 feet in diameter. I've got one variety that's fill these up over the top this year.

If you have a hornworm on the tomatoes, you will find out soon enough...

I haven't had serious problems with any bugs on my tomatoes, though, and the few I have seen go for the staked tomatoes first.

(Why do I grow tomatoes on stakes? Greater variety in less space; earlier harvests.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz