The Great Roundup/Mulch Debate ..... part deux

When looking in my shed this afternoon, I discovered about two miles of six feet wide heavy weed barrier cloth, purchased by my wife some time ago for a dozen gladioli that she never planted.
My idea is to continue tilling tomorrow, picking out the weeds, making rows, installing water lines, and using the cloth as much as possible to kill weeds in the ground, and keep new ones out.
For an overcover, what's good and cheap (keyword - cheap) to put on top the cloth? We're in zone 6, iirc, 3700' elevation, north of St. George, Utah.
And can I expect that the weeds I miss that go under the cloth will die out and not return with a vengeance? I figure when I pull the stuff up after this season, I can cover the whole garden for winter except for any winter planting I'm going to do.
Sound plausible?
Steve

Does it let sunlight through? If so, no.
--

- Billy

It depends on the cloth. I got some of that breathable black cloth for my herb bed. The bindweed came right through it. Black plastic garbage bags might work better--those kept my weeds very quiet one year. --S.

Buying it in sheets at the hardware store is cheaper.
--

- Billy