The death of a greenhouse tomato.

I started Super Beefsteaks, Rutgers, and Brandywine tomato plants from seeds in peat pots back in early February. Two weeks ago I transplanted them to large pots in our greenhouse in coastal California. They were doing well...then three days of heavy frost hit! Temperatures in the greenhouse dipped below freezing, although there was obviously no frost inside. Now they are brown and wilted. Was I mistaken in thinking that it was the frost and not the temperature that kills tomato plants? Are they likely terminal or will they revive? TIA for the help.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

Temperatures below freezing will kill any tomatoe plant I know of. The frost was probably coincidental to this problem, adding to it. If your plants are still showing some green, they may recover, but I doubt it. Next time, take the plants inside, or rig up some kind of heater.

Sorry for the loss,

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

"And awaaaay we go"

Charlie, doing his best Jackie imitation

Reply to
Charlie

Last seen, it was in that huge pile of gardening catalogs behind the stack of wine bottles, next to your rocker in the southeast corner of the basement.

Tais toim? Ouais. Peu probable. ;-)

Charlie Seau Bouche

Reply to
Charlie

;-) Ne peux pas vous aider sur la science, mais je suis sur la bonne marche de ma bouche!

J'espère moi aussi que nous pouvons faire de vieux os ensemble.

Longue vie à la fois de nous! :-)

Nous avons juste besoin d'être débarrassé de la bushists et les sociétés et les mensonges

Dormez bien et peut vous rêvez de tomates et basilic

Vive la révolution du jardin Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Mere floccinaucinihilipilification