Sunflower question

Hi All,
I had a sunflower grow wild in my garden this year. I have watched several videos on how to grow them on You Tube, but I am confused as to when to cut the flowers off the stems and what to do with them afterwards.
The flower is currently past to pollination stage and is pointing at the ground. The buds are starting to fall off and the seeds are starting to show when they do.
I ask this because aphids have discovered the plant and I want to cut it down as soon as possible.
Many thanks, -T
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:05:41 -0700, T wrote:
Can't help you as to when, but this may help? Place a nylon stocking over the flower. This should keep aphids out and seeds in.
On 09/24/2016 02:26 PM, azigni wrote:

Thank you!
It is about six feet tall. That would have to be ONE LEGGY woman!

No matter how leggy do not be tempted to use fishnets unless you are more worried about flying fish than aphids.
Mike
On 09/25/2016 02:00 AM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:

When do I cut the heads off and how to I store them to finish seeding?
On 09/24/2016 02:05 PM, T wrote:

Found this:
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2012/07/19/in-the-butterfly-garden-time-to-harvest-sunflower-seeds-heres-how-to-do-it/
Here’s how to harvest sunflower seeds:
1. Wait for the heads to drop, all the sunflower petals have fallen off, and the backside of the sunflower has turned yellow or even brown.
2. Cut about a foot of stalk off the top.
3. Scrape the seeds out with a spoon or butter knife, as shown in the video above, OR if you’re more patient,
Put a net or brown paper bag over the flower head and wait for the seeds to drop on their own.
4. Air dry for future use.