Succession planting Extending the harvest

Inspired by the tread concerning beans. I plant about three weeks apart . Some plants can't handle the heat beans can.

More on planting late below.

IUP8nF>OlSEnIE:kVgK X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net Bytes: 3183 Xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com rec.gardens:584758

This is out'en Charlie's archive. I only steal from the best.

Late Planting Guide From Seed From an Old Organic Magazine

Frost date is Oct 15 Last frost May 15

Your dates may differ due to your climate

July 4 100 days till Oct 15

Frost tender

85 days Snap Beans by July 25 97 days Corn by July 4 86 days Cucumbers by July 25 110 days Tomatoes by June 25 81 ays Squash by Aug 1

Survive Light Frost

90 days Cauliflower by July 25 84 days Chinese Cabbage by July 25 74 days Beets by Aug 15 113 days Endive by June 25 63 days Kohlrabi by Aug 30 76 days Loose Leaf Lettuce by Aug 1r 96 days Head Lettuce by July 4 70 days Peas by Aug 15

Survive Heavy Frost

99 days Cabbage by July 4 85 days Carrots by July 25 70 days Chard by Aug 15 90 days Collards by July 4 95 days Broccoli by July 4 120 days Brussels Sprouts by June 15 95 days Kale by July 4 42 days Radishes Summer by Sept 5 72 days Radishes Winter by Aug 15 64 days Spinach by Aug 25 51 days Turnips by Sept 15

-- People need to remember that these are average frost dates, for zone

  1. I'm also zone five.

Some years things will be done in around the average date, other years it may go much later. Three years ago we were still harvesting tomatoes aaround thanksgiving time. I had covered a few plants when frost hit the end of october. No frost or freeze until around thnksgiving.

Charlie

An' that's the way it is, movin' on.

Reply to
Bill who putters