strawberry question

We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really healthy all summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past week their leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just a paler green. Any idea what could be causing this? We had the same problem a few years ago with blackberries. TIA Lauradog

Reply to
Lauradog

Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm in zone 7. That's probably the answer, we've had temps ranging from 101-106 this past week. Thanks. Lauradog

Reply to
suedaniels

Is the leaf pale all over, or has darker green veins?

If so, may be chlorosis; needs iron (chelated).

Reply to
Persephone

blackberries.

Reply to
V_coerulea

We have four beds of strawberries, and have followed the same pattern until this year. We always took out the oldest bed each year and put new plants in. That way we had strawberries every year. This year is the first time we've done all new plants, because after producing last year they all turned pale and we thought they had some kind of disease. Our whole family was disappointed at having a strawberry-free spring. Hmmm. Is it too late in the season to snip the runners? Our new plants seem to be recovering from whatever paled their leaves and are greening up again. Maybe it was the Roundup drifting on the wind. Thanks Sue

Reply to
suedaniels