Speaking of strawberries, how to store?

What's the best way to store them for a few days and how long should they last? In a bag, open air, refrig, counter?
--
Steve

I clean and chop them into pieces, put them into a plastic covered container. and keep them in the frig for 3 or 4 days. If there is a sale on and I can get a lot, I chop them, add sugar, heat them up, can (hot water bath) them in pint jars.
Dwayne

Eat 'em fresh. They don't keep long. You can freeze them for cooking applications.
If you like them over cake or ice cream, you can also brandy them, or use various mixes of alcohol.
Last time I put up a quart of sliced ones, I added about 2" of blackberry wine to the bottom of the jar, then topped it off with everclear.
I clean and slice them to do this. They will keep practically forever in alcohol, and the alcohol picks up the strawberry flavor. These are especially good served over pound cake with a bit of whipped cream. ;-d
--
Om.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 07:47:30 -0400, Steve Calvin

From: <http://www.cannamoreorchard.com/products/
Tips for Storing Strawberries
* Berries to be used immediately may be picked any time, but if you plan to hold the fruit for a few days, try to pick in the early morning or on cool, cloudy days. Berries picked during the heat of the day become soft, are easily bruised, and will not keep well. * Avoid placing the picked berries in the sun any longer than necessary. It is better to put them in the shade of a tree or shed than in the car trunk or on the car seat. * Cool them as soon as possible after picking. Strawberries may be kept fresh in the refrigerator for 3 or more days, depending upon the initial quality of the berry. After a few days in storage, however, the fruit loses its bright color and fresh flavor and tends to shrivel. * When you get them home, sort but do not clean them until just before you use them. * Store the berries uncovered in the refrigerator in a shallow container. * When ready to use, wash them quickly in cold water. Do not let them soak. Drain them well before you hull them. It's best to use your strawberries within three days.
Penelope
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Thanks to all. Sounds like they'll keep for a few days uncovered in the fridge unless you want 'em macerated or in sugar. The better half got some recently and left 'em on the counter with that plastic cover over the carton and they molded in about 2 days. This probably explains why.
--
Steve

Fridge with restricted ventilation like the fruit/vege compartment or loosely closed paper bag.
Depending on how ripe when you chill them, anywhere from 1-10 days.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Sylvan Butler wrote:

ok, thanks all for the ideas. h
--
Steve

The strawberry man at the farmers market told me to put a paper towel in the bottom of a tuppperware type container. Place the strawberries on top and seal the lid. They stay nice for 5 days or so that way.
marcella
IMHO, I immediately clean and halve them, put some sugar on them and put them in small, one serving ziplock baggies, then freeze them. They are ready for any dessert, and go great on vanilla ice cream.
Ron C. ======================== On Fri, 06 May 2005 12:41:25 -0400, Steve Calvin

On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:18:55 -0700, "Dr snipped-for-privacy@iwvisp.com"

Bu..bu..but you can buy frozen strawberries at the store any old time. It's the local fresh ones that are so ssssssucculent! No sugar needed.
Penelope
Steve Calvin wrote:

If you buy them leave them in plastic, don't wash, put them in a cold place (not freeze), few days, if you wash them they won't be good next day.