Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

Page 2 of 3
* Glenn Knickerbocker wrote, On 4/26/07 3:14 PM:

No, Kibo's off somewhere having 'fun', while us bozos waste time in ark.
--
[ anTonOMasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

anTonOMasia wrote:

I am not now, nor have I ever been Kibo.
Also: I did not inhale.
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
anTonOMasia wrote:

I am not now, nor have I ever been Kibo.
Also: I did not inhale.
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
Tonto Goldstein wrote:

There, I said it twice, so it must be true!
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
* Tonto Goldstein wrote, On 4/26/07 10:28 PM:

I had also meant to say: Kibo? Sheep? Who knew?

On 2007-04-26, Tonto Goldstein wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/17/HOGR5O4LII1.DTL
--> artist Betty Burian Kirk, who enjoys a thriving trade --> spinning 100 percent dog hair into yarn. The idea came to --> her 19 years ago when, as an ambitious spinner, she realized --> that dog hair might stand out as unique from the usual --> fibers found in stores. It's not a new concept. Spinning dog --> hair is part of American Indian history. --> --> Kirk only accepts hair that has been brushed off the dog --> because clipped hair makes the yarn too prickly. When an --> order arrives, she washes the hair and then prepares it for --> spinning. It requires at least 4 ounces to spin enough yarn --> for a hat and 8 ounces for a scarf. (Although cat hair is --> feasible for spinning, she's never used it because of family --> allergies.) ... --> When asked about odor, she replied, "Does your wool sweater --> smell like sheep in the barnyard? No! Does it have an odor --> when you wash it? Yes, but it's the smell of wool, not the --> barnyard. Same with dog hair. When wet it has a slight odor, --> but it's a fiber odor, not a doggy odor." --> --> Dog hair lacks the elasticity found in sheep's wool but it --> happens to be much warmer, making it ideal for cold-weather --> accessories, such as hats, scarves and shawls. Prices range --> from the cost of spinning the yarn or, for those who don't --> knit, the price of spinning plus Kirk's fee to make the --> desired item. Intrigued? Then grab a brush and start --> collecting your dog's hair now -- brushing a deceased pet --> will not garner enough hair.
* Adam Funk wrote, On 4/27/07 7:52 AM:

Yeah, but can you make a quilt with it?
--
[ anTonOMasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

anTonOMasia wrote:

Is it heavier than a duck?
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.

Too bad this turned out to be bogus:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/irresistible/13179676/detail.html
It coulda revolutionized the pet-fur/hair sweater industry.
Dr. HotSalt
On 2007-03-21, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

And now, I have a a photograph of someone spinning with a sign:
Do not touch the spinning wheel! I am spinning dog hair today.
http://www.newsfroup.net/dog_hair /
--
Leila: "I don't think he knows."
Agent Rogersz: "Increase the voltage."
On 2008-09-23, Adam Funk wrote:

At a more recent agricultural event, I mentioned that sign to the woman who was demonstrating a spinning wheel (with conventional wool); she said she wouldn't do that without a dust mask and probably even goggles, since dog hair is very messy to work with and throws "doggy dandruff" everywhere.
--
I spend almost as time figuring out what's wrong with my computer as
I do actually using it. Networked software, especially, requires
Adam Funk wrote:

I see your "link" and raise you:
<http://www.isn.net/~minimill/store/
When we visited the store we struck up a conversation with one of the owners. A few minutes later a female employee entered the store. She looked so much like the first woman I asked if they were related. She responded:
"She only hires people who look like her. It does limit the pool of talent."
They are identical twins.
Matthew
You can't win

I'm coming, Elizabeth, I'm coming.
Now, I've seen it all. The "Rapture" must be coming along any minute.
Am I on drugs or what? Somebody check the tap water.
Every time I turn around this place just gets stranger and stranger.
- Bill
Coloribus gustibus and dog hair sweateribus non disputatum (mostly)

That's not strange.
_This_ is strange:
http://www.petpreservations.com/index.html

Quidquid, dudeumus.
Dr. HotSalt
On 2007-03-12, William Rose wrote:

Too much Ripple.

Stop turning around. Or turn faster. YMMV. HTH. HAND. WTF.
--
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
[Josey Wales]

And I'm saving dog hair from a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to mix with Alpaca to spin into yarn.
In article

Farm1, that's quite a handle your dog has. If you make a sweater from the yarn, will it come with a sack of ashes?
All kidding aside, I'm glad to see people unplugging from the consumer matrix. Do you spin and weave the hair yourself? What do dog hair shirts feel like or will this be for throw rugs? Are there specific breeds for weaving? (I presume that they should be long-hairs.)
Thanks for the heads-up,

Yeah, but no longer than German Short Haired Pointer :-)) Dunno why breed names get so long.
If you make a sweater from

Probably not - it'st ake too long to collect that mcuh - perhaps a hat or scarf.

:-)) Perhaps just a scourge?

I'll spin it myself and perhaps knit or crochet it. I wouldn't weave it.
What do dog hair shirts

The Cavalier King Charles has very, very fine soft hair - softer than corn silk or baby hair.
Are there specific breeds for

Many breeds of dogs have ahir that can be can be used to spin. My neigbour has a Marrema and I've promised to spin some of her dog's hair for her. I've even heard of someone spinning hair from a cow (whcih would be really hard to do) but then they complained that it was prickly - not at all surprised by that.

Avoid slick paper and printed colors. Slick paper has a clay seal to make it slick and also makes it harder to compost. Color inks may contain lead. Changes have been made in what goes into color inks to make them safer for us and the environment.
I treat shredded paper the same as I treat oak leaves, cover them with chicken manure. Bird droppings of any kind are high nitrogen which aids in compost of things like paper, twigs, leaves. You may need to add some lime from time to time to balance the pile.
For those who own chickens that spend at least part of the day in a coop, try tossing the shredded paper/ leaves/ small twigs under the perch. This will act as a mat to absorb chicken droppings and can be more easily moved to the compost pile. Yes, the birds will scatter it hunting for treats. Just rake it together when time to clean the coop.
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:03:27 -0400, Vandy Terre

Not used paper but we do use sawdust and then transfer to the compost bin. Waiting to see how (if?) that composts.