Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

Page 1 of 3
I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in the compost pile, right? Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double check.
Goomba38 wrote:

Treat it like any other "brown" component of your compost. I used to compost newsprint many years ago by putting it through a big shredder and then wetting it down and adding a "starter", usually animal manure. Don't use plastic or the windows on windo envelopes. Everything shredded in my office goes to the compost heap even today.
George
Goomba38 said:

I do it all the time.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).
I'd not make paper a main ingredient, but it's easy to keep on hand to add a bit at a time. For instance, after that really rainy week when the lawn had gotten away from you and you have an abundance of grass clippings...

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Thank you that gives me an idea of how to work with this resource. I'd hate to waste it if I could use and benefit from it. Now.. about teabags...?
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Teabags are fine - toss 'em right in.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
Goomba38 wrote:

Milk and two sugars, cheers love.
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
On 2007-04-25, Tonto Goldstein wrote:

And on 2007-04-13, Matthew L. Martin wrote:

--
Hi this is Leila. I'm not here right now. So please leave your name,
number and a brief message and a time you called at the beep. And
On 2007-03-08, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

And that's free of charge.
--
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]

Shave your pubes and add some hair.
--oTTo--
GIF!

It's too early in the morning for this for me, maybe after aperitifs, definitely after digestives.
I would worry about salts in the urea, especially if it is beer based. If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen. Until it warms up, all my hair is staying right where it is, thank you very much, and if anything, getting longer.
- Bill
Gustibus coloribus non disputatum (mostly:-)
On 2007-03-09, William Rose wrote:

Beer-based? If beer makes up the majority of your diet, you won't be able to get any gardening done.

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).
--
Leila: "What if he's innocent?"
Agent Rogersz: "No one is innocent."

Adam, my man. Did you get the cork out of your breakfast already? An' wat chew mean knitting sweaters? Dog hair sweaters? You crazy or what? Explain yourself boy.
- Bill
On 2007-03-10, William Rose wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
"Knitting With Dog Hair: Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet" by Kendall Crolius
ISBN-10: 0312152906
--
Leila: "What if he's innocent?"
Agent Rogersz: "No one is innocent."

Dog hair sweaters, when wet, smell like dog. Duh!
T.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

What if your dog has no nose?

On 2007-04-25, Tonto Goldstein wrote:

Then he smells poorly.
--
You can drown in a bathtub with an inch of water in it, and you can
easily write a completely unreadable and unmaintainable program in a
On Mar 12, 8:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I used to know someone whose wife did indeed knit stuff from the combings of their samoyeds. And, no, the items did not smell like dogs.
Hell's bells, man, people make clothing from goat hair--pashmina, for example.
J. Del Col. .
jadel wrote:

I've heard tell that there are some crazy folk who make clothes from the wool off'n a sheep's back!!1!
They is weird, I tells ya!
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
* Tonto Goldstein wrote, On 4/26/07 9:10 AM:

IFYwardrobeFY
--
[ anTonOMasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

anTonOMasia wrote:

Don't even THINK of trying to tell us that Tonto is actually Kibo.