Shitake Mushroom Log Not Growing - HELP!

I received a mushroom log kit for Christmas, followed the directions, and nothing! I can't tell if I'm giving it too much water, too much light, or not enough of either. I am trying to grow it indoors in the midwest. It has a faint green mold on the top of the log - is this okay?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
put it outside. the green mold (which is bad) will disappear. Once the weather warms, you will be able to make it fruit, either by soaking or by knocking it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Give it a cold shock. Place it in your fridge for a night or two(wrapped in plastic to contain the mold). Bring it out and submerge it in pure water (rain water/melted snow) overnight, then place it somewhere that stays around 50F (an unheated porch or cold window). In a few days you should see fruitbodies forming. If this procedure does not work, and the green mold (or other mold infections) persist, the mycelium from the Shitake may not have taken in the log and might be a lost cause due to competing molds gaining a foothold before the mushroom could. It happens sometimes no matter how clean the innoculation environment was to begin with.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you mean Christmas 2005, then the chances are it has only just been inoculated. You'll have to keep the log damp for around a year while the mycelium grows through the wood. Only then will it be ready to fruit.
The instructions with the log I got for Christmas say that if it is kept indoors, it should be submerged in water overnight once a month.
I'm too lazy for that. I've just put it in the garden where the water butt overflows and I'll give it extra water if it needs it in the summer.
--
Graham

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.