>>> Selling Plants

Hi, I see a lot of people selling plants online that state they cant ship to one state or another. Some have a long list, some only a state or 2.

What governs this and how do they know where or where they cant sell? How do some ship to one state and the next seller say they cannot?

Do these same "rules" apply to a family member sending someone a plant/tree?

chaz

Reply to
chaz

I know that California is very strict about which plants they allow to come into their state. Most other states are nowhere near as strict as California.

There are fruit fly problems in many states. California and maybe some other states don't want to handle such problems so they've instituted certain laws. When I was driving around the country in 1987/1988 California was the only state that stopped me as I was driving across the border and they asked if I had any fruit in the car. I traveled from Miami, FL to Vancouver, Canada and then started to head south into California. That was one heck of a drive!

Some other states might have similar laws to protect the peanut farmers or whatnot. It's usually the farming industry that asks the state congress to implement laws to "protect" their crops.

I don't know the full details about all of the states, so I can't help you there. Maybe someone knows of a link or maybe something can be turned up by searching google. The only terms I can think of to search on google are:

state "agriculture laws"

And maybe change state to the actual name of the state. I think various universities and educational institutions will have such information, especially if they have agricultural programs going.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Hi. Hope these links help.

--Scott State regulated -