Seeds

Yesterday I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Looked all over for the Burpee Golden Zucchini I bought last August. Not found. Today we were out and about so stopped at a couple of stores and no luck. On the way out of town DH saw Tractor Supply and pulled in. They had them. I looked at the price, $1.79 on sale at $1.34 for 19 seeds. I checked the Burpee site when I got home and their price was $3.95 for 25 seeds, plus shipping of course. Got 2 packages.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Did you look down the back of the fridge? Overtime everything migrates there ;)
I also suspect while putting what's left of this years seeds away "safe" there will be last years seeds.
Mike
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:54:23 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"

My seed packages never get to the kitchen. This one made it to the computer table because it is listed in my seed software as purchased last August.
Since I have already bought more and sowed some of them, the missing package will turn up next week.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

What is your "seed software" ?
I use Excel to track seeds and germination successes. Created a multi-worksheet file, with the first worksheet having columns for things such as plant category (allium, herb, greens, tomato, corn, etc), variety name, mfr stock #, date of purchase, year packaged for, seed producer, source (store, friend, etc), type of container (important for saved seeds), heirloom vs. hybrid (important for seed saving), seed count/weight, cost, storage location (I largely use 3 Litre storage crates, and I number them all), then various bits of plant data. If saved seed, date of harvest. Also, a field for misc plant notes - pelleted, flower colour, bee forage, etc.
Plant types, vendors, etc are on subsequent worksheets and are drop-downs on the main seed worksheet (results in much less typing). I've been updating the plant class info with planting data (pH, water and soil requirements, spacing tend to be about the same for all plants of a given type), and manufacurers and sources have contact information on them (even in some cases having manufacturers listed that I don't actually have seed from - it's a handy reference to websites, etc).
I also use the spreadsheet to generate unique serial number labels (with barcodes) for saved seed, so I can better track them - each container of saved seed has a year-specific indentifier, so at a glance I know how old the seed is. Since the labels are generated from the spreadsheet (granted, involves importing into word to print a "mailmerge"), I'm not re-typing variety names, etc - less opportunity for typos.

As long as they're stored properly, they should be good for a few years. If nothing else, plant a bunch of the older seed next year or the year after and just give away/trade a bunch of starts so they don't end up doing you no good.
I have Golden Zucchini from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in my inventory (as well as Yellow Scallop and Yellow Straightneck from the same source, and a variety of other squashes from others), all in "Garden Bin 11". I may have to flip through 40+ packets in the bin to find the specific thing I'm looking for, but it's in the bin it's inventoried to be in.

If anyone is interested, Burpee has a Hybrid cantaloupe seed that is powdery mildew resistant. Didn't see it last year or the year before. My cantaloupe usually get it in late July. Zone 6 New experiment for the garden.
Cheers