Seed catalogs

I recently got 2 seed catalogs, one form Henry Fiekds and the other from Gurney. I started to browse them and it seemed that on identical items they have the same price and catalog number. Are they the same company with different branches? Richard
I am not sure if they are affiliated or not.
At one time Gurneys was the premier seed catalog out there.
But something has changed. Last year, my order was very unsatisfactory. The product was fine, but I received the order in "dribbles", some seeds never arrived until after I had bought them elsewhere. I ordered them online, and after 2 weeks I called them and they said my order was being processed. Anyway, no more Gurneys for me.

Gurney's nearly went belly up and was bought by someone else... I don't know if Henry Field's is the parent company, but they're as close as J. C. Whitney and Warshawski & Co.
The seed business isn't exempt; fewer and fewer companies. Good reason to save your own.
Spring Hill Nurseries, Henry Field Seed & Nursery, Gurney Seed & Nursery, Michigan Bulb, the Garden Store, Flower of the Month and Breck's Bulb are owned by Gardens Alive, Inc.
il 24 Jan 2005 18:04:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FarmerDill) ha scritto:

'They' talk about consumer choice, but all the time that is negated by business realities. I'm losing count of the times a choice I made is negated by buy-outs.
I collect a lot of seeds from my plants and some I just let self sow - then I never run out . ;-) I had perilla one year, then a couple of years later one turned up after I had given up all hope of it being regenerated. And the rocket is trying to take over the lawn. I'm not so sure all my neighbours are impressed with the seeding plants, they can get sooo ugly (the plants ;-))
--
Cheers,

I'll agree on beets... tall alien-looking branchy things. But leeks look just like their refined flowering allium cousins:
http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarlicweb2/images/Garden/2003/20030724LeekBlossom2.jpg
Now, if I can actually build the winnowing machine I've re-designed in my head a half-dozen times!