Roma Tomato Question

I was looking over my four Roma tomato plants just a few seconds ago and noticed that each are bearing several potential tomatoes... But, dang! They're monstrous! (And [almost] all are square!)

I'm not watering them much (once a week), and I've never had Romas do this in prior years, so I'm wondering why? Unlike previous years, the plants are devoid of pests and have blossomed and grown very leafy during their regular growth spurts.

Any ideas on why these are mutants or should I just enjoy the super-size and not sweat the look?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Last year, in the midst of the drought, I had a really poor crop of Romas. Except for one plant that had HUGE fruit - I've been growing tomatoes for probably 30 years and never seen anything like them. I saved the seeds from them, but in this lousy wet NJ summer, they don't seem too happy. But they are putting on some fruit, which is more than everything else (but the damn Zuchini From Hell) is doing.

Enjoy them, and maybe save some seed?

-=>epm

Reply to
EvelynMcH

EvelynMcH helpfully relayed in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com...

Consider your sage advice heeded. Many thanks.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Or why research is needed to determine the optimum velocity.

Reply to
Noydb