REPOST: Name that grape ( ? )

Originally posted Sun, 18 May 2008.

I have a grape vine and do not know what type it is. A potted > plant was given to me 5 years ago. It thrived and does well here > in Sandhills section of North Carolina. The vine bears white grapes > ( green up until ripening at which time it takes on a golden blush ). > At this time (18 May 08 ) it is slam loaded with clusters of 1/4 inch > sized grapes. They ripen early, some time between late July into > early August. They ripen medium size grapes - very sweet. The > vines is very prolific, and the year before last produced a nice > fruity wine. Last year it got hit by severe frost when the new > growth was forming ( 3 - 4 inch long ) and I thought it would die, > but it did recouperate as soon as things warmed up > > Not sure what else to say. If my scanner was working I'd scan a > leaf for upload. I do not have a digital camera so that is out. > Anybody have any ideas ? The fellow who gave me the plant has > no idea what variety. > > TIA > > = Me =

Well here it is Sunday 27 July 2008. I have just harvested the above mentioned grapes. Not sure of the weight, but I filled one 5 gal pail and a tub of about 8 gal. = 13 gal. worth off one vine approx 12 foot long ( six to the left - six to the right ) trained on two wires.

I was talking with my neighbor again today and he mentioned that they might be Niagra Grapes. The grapes are very sweet and do have a hint of foxiness, somewhat like the Concord grapes I used to mess with when living in MA., although a white variety. Pretty bunches ranging from 4 - 8 inches long. Berries from 1/2 to 5/8 diameter. They take on a yellowish hue and appear almost translucent when viewed in direct sunlight.

Would these be Niagra grape ? What other information should/could I provide ?

= Me =

Reply to
MrMe

You need a leaf, a cluster, and an expert. There are many successful hybrids of grapes.

Reply to
Billy