Report From The Garden...."Cap'n Thar Be Worms Here!"

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:09:57 -0500, Charlie wrote:

For an opening day the fishing was good. Exercised a few and put 'em back.
To be standing in a Sierra stream early in the morning as the mist rises into a crystal blue sky, that Charlie, is paramount. To me.

Damn. I bought my fishing license when I bought my hunting license prior to going hunting last month. I need to pick one up for dad.
I've not been fishing in years and there IS a lake nearby! Crappie, Bass and Catfish.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Mine just paw me or plop themselves in my lap. <g>

Hungry baby!

LOL! We escaped from there 27 years ago.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Earthquakes ain't so bad, so long as your not underneath a freeway:-( The most remarked on earthquake was the 1906 San Francisco trembler but the truth is, that it was the fires afterward that did the damage. The most awesome result of the '06 quake was up in rural Marin county, where the right-slip, San Andreas fault moved twenty feet. Property is pretty cheap along the fault line. From Marin county, the San Andreas goes out to sea and north for about 100 miles, where it connects to the San Juan de la Fucha subduction fault, off Cape Mendocino, that continues on up into British Columbia, and feeds active volcanoes like St. Helens and Mt. Rainier.
--

Billy

In article

Theoretically, the San Andreas fault is the edge of a continental plate. Some doomsayers say that that part of California (West of the SA fault) will eventually be underwater.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

No, that's the San Juan de la Fucha subduction fault, where the Pacific plate is sliding under the North American plate. Before the San Andreas fault arrived with the Pacific plate, the sub-ducted Pacific plate gave rise (;-)) to the Sierra Nevada Mt.s in California. The melting ice sheets in Greenland and the Antarctica may raise the sea level 200 ft., which would mean a much shorter dive to the beach.
--

Billy

In article

No Worry this guy got Bush's ear.
<
http://youtube.com/watch?vbZChLLYUbE

Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

Yah right. <giggles>
I'll just stock up on ammo...

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
In article

Ah, thanks for the correction. :-) Part of the "Ring of Fire"?
When I lived near the Mojave, we had to dump our own trash. They were using the San Andreas Fault ravine as a landfill.
The melting of the poles would do the same thing here, but we are sufficiently above current sea level to be safe.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Can't that be cured with Preparation H?
--

Billy

In article

No, these:
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/35a796d8/3d2153aa
;-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

ROFLMAO :-)) That woke me up.
--

Billy

In article

<VBG>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Everthing well here, though it *is* effed up in KC. 40000 were without power and quite a few homes were destroyed, though only minor injuries were reported so far. There was no warning or advance on them.
Arkansas had serious damage and eight deaths (last I heard). One was a teenager asleep in bed and a tree fell thru the roof.
I'll be back this evening to see how all the fine folks are doing here in wrecked gardens.
Charlie
On May 4, 10:23 am, Charlie wrote:

On May 4, 10:23 am, Charlie wrote:

Somehow, Ma Nature follows me around and gets pissy now and then. When I was a kid in NE, I survived a number of tornado close calls. While I was in college in Tempe AZ, the Salt River flowed (from diversion dam overflow) for the first time since the 30's, wiping out most of downtown Phoenix. In 1970 (71?), while stationed in the Mojave, THE BIG ONE hit. Somewhere in the low 8's. Collapsed many freeway overpasses, destroyed a VA hospital, and almost blew a dam in north LA county -- 200 thousand valley people evacuated. Lived 30 mi. from St. Helens when it blew.....twice. Back to school at WSU (only school in PAC 10 where it snows) for the coldest winter since record keeping. Survived two typhoons and one super typhoon (an official term) while in Micronesia with Peace Corps in 94-96 Ten years here with at least three nights a year in the bomb shelter, spillway at Table Rock Dam (Branson) opened for the first time EVER after the all-time record rains this winter, an 4.8 earthquake two weeks ago and a 4.4 a couple days ago, 38 tornado touchdowns in January, and my radishes are late. I am expecting frogs, locusts, and flies (already got ticks) any day.
I am really a nice guy, but neighbors tend to move away.
cheers
oz, who doesn't even count backpacking through the USSR when the army threw Gorby in house arrest, and me with a USAF(ret) ID in my pocket.
On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:43:40 -0700 (PDT), MajorOz
I'd like your current gps coordinates, please. And where you intend to be over the next eleventy-seven years. Including vacations. ;-)
In article

I think that was '72. We lived in LA at the time. I was 10. I remember the mess it made!

Ok, sucks to be you. :-(

Move to the hill country. The worst we've gotten in the 26 years I've lived here is one bad hail storm. ;-) 'nadoes touched close a couple of times but not close enough to cause harm!
Hail is hard on gardens tho'. <sigh>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Izzat LBJ country? My trips through there encountered noxious yuppie breezes from Austin. ;-) However, the Dripping Springs area looked really nice. My son was caretaker at a small farm near there while finishing his dissertation research. He had a HUGE greenhouse, milked goats, shoveled shit, and sold eggs. It was very quiet, but seemed close to whatever citified amenities one might need.
cheers
oz, who, however, really liked the Xmas lights walk near UT (or is it TU?)
In article

Sure is! LBJ ranch is a few miles down the road. (About 15 or 20 I think).

So does Wimberley.

I try to avoid Austin... I just go there to shop when I need to.