Red Plastic Mulch?

I live in far north of Wisconsin. For several years I have used red plastic mulch for the Tomato Plants, to help accelerate production.
Has anyone figured out a good way to punch holes in the plastic for planting?

I just use my planting trowel. It has a sharp point. I puncture the mulch and then put the plants in. If the plants are small and the mulch partially covers the leaves I tear the away the mulch. Richard