Red Mulch is heaven for cats

I went through a lot of labor to cover my backyard with this red mulch. Mainly to save my back from picking up weeds constantly. It looked very nice, but it looks even better to some alley cats..where i can tell just by different color that it did its thing. Get rid of one problem, another pops up. I threw some cayenne pepper over the areas ...but that does not seem to stop them...any other suggestions?

Reply to
Harri85274

Roaming cats kept digging up my cucumber seedlings this year. I put in a motion-detecting sprinkler and it solved the problem immediately.

regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

NOW you tell me. We just moved in a little over a year ago and my kids & I planted sunflowers in our tiny garden in front (western exposure)...

2 cats scratched down a few plants and then these strays proceeded to spray and dig and poop in this little garden. It REEKED in front. Local garden shop manager, whom I trust, told me to put down mulch - so I did. It worked for a while but now these strays are BACK ... DIGGING in the mulch!

help....

Reply to
nyctwinmum

Place chicken wire over the mulch. Or, place thorny branches over the mulch. Or, sprinkle pieces of the herb rue over the mulch. Or, spray the cat with water. Or, get a viscous dog.

We have stray cats too, but they have learned to dislike my property. Unfortunately, there is one neighbor who feeds the ferals.

Reply to
Phisherman

A viscous dog. LOL! I think I'd rather get a quick one.

Best regards, :-) Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Or, spray

Yes, the syrupy kind are far preferable!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

Place chicken wire over the mulch.>>>

Good idea, but black or green wire would create an eyesore. Does anyone know if they sell such wire colored red? Don't offer a suggestion of "Paint it red"..too much of a job. BTW, home depot calls them Poultry wire...not chicken wire.

Reply to
Wishy13764