Re(2): grape growing

>>Am looking to grow grapes and was considering constructing a trellis out >of >>1 1/4" galvanized pipe. I was planning on driving the vertical runs >about 3 >>feet below grade(frost line here) and running 1 1/4" horizontal piping >runs >>about 7 feet high off them. A few concerns came to mind.....the >horizontal >>runs will be about 10 feet long....is that long enough? The vines will >be >>trained along the piping. Due to the size of the piping will it tend to >get >>too hot for the vines as the direct sun shines on them, thus burning the >>vines and leaves? I'm in the northeast. Thanks in advance. >> > >First.. I'm compelled to say, if you live in the city limits, check >with zoning folks to see if there are any rules as to the height of >your grape support. I'm in the process at the moment (just called the >code enforcement people this morning) with dealing with the issue that >my posts are too tall, over 6' , because the jerk next door that the >woman who lives there married recently, complained that they were too >tall. They've been there for 10 years, and as soon as he saw a friend >out there putting up braces to support the corners he was out there >saying "you can't do that! You can't do that it's against the code" >*sigh* He's taken it upon himself to complain about everything he can >since he moved in.. hates me for some reason. Dun no if it's that I'm >fat, or he took what I had said about trimming the trees growing into >the phone lines as a threat. Just said I didn't know if they phone >company could charge him for trimming if the lines caused an outage. >Dun no, but he didn't trim them and I had an outage because of it. > >Anyway, I'm likely to have to cut them to 6' because of the twit.

Be certain not to cut *anything* unless you have official word to do so which they (the City) will give you in writing it if needs to be done. The grapes should fall under a different code than fencing which is what may be being referred to. The grape support would fall under such things as a trellis. I'd definitely use the argument of bushes/trees, not a fence. Believe it or not, code enforcement people can be human occasionally. (If by some remote chance, you live in Vancouver, email me privately.)

About the black walnut, can you talk to her about it and bypass him and ask her to pull it up, explaining why? She may not be as enthralled with him now as she was in the beginning. If he's being that much of a horse's behind, it may be showing up inside the house as well and she might be more cooperative than she might have been months ago.

I suspect his apparent dislike of you is some sort of a jealousy thing, perhaps because you have your property and he married his, or maybe she has said something nice about you with him jumping to all sorts of conclusions. The thing about human beings, one can never really figure out what is truly going on in their minds. It sounds like he has some issues with himself and, unfortunately, you are the recipient of the overflow of his insecurities and maybe self-dislike. Who can really know?!

Whatever, don't let go of your extra grapes unless absolutely necessary! Enjoy.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose