Purple Hull peas in NY?

Some southern folks were raving about Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpeas and I was about to place an order when I began to wonder if there was a reason I'd never grown them before.
Has anyone grown them in zone 5?
Thanks-
Jim In the Mohawk Valley just east of Schenectady

Did the company you are ordering from give any information? Here is a locater for all of the extension offices in the country.
My seed program says that for "Black Turtle" (closest one in my listing) soil temperatures should be 60 to 75F for planting. Started and grown outside maturity in about 56 days for fresh beans. If you want them dry add a few weeks. So, do you have a long enough growing period?
Just checked the seed packet for Black Turtle and the sowing period for your area is late May through July.
Take a chance. That is part of the fun of gardening. Order a small package and see how they work.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills