Pruning - long branches with leaves ONLY on top

I have several bushes that have long branches (from 12 inches to 3 feet) where there are only leaves on the top. The shrubs are buckthorns, ashleaf spirea and beauty bush. The person at my local nursery said to "flush" them but cutting them all the way down but honestly, if I do that, I'll have nothing left on the bush since the majority of branches on each of these bushes only have leaves at the top. Does anybody know what I should do?
--
ackeiyword

ackeiyword;926850 Wrote:

Leave the fruits. Water the plants in as you say. Following that, the bell pepper needs more water than the chilli. The chilli is ok to get rather dry between waterings. For a bit of oomph, when the plant has increased in size, give them some occasional tomato fertiliser at about half strength.
What peppers need above all is lots of sunshine, they are light addicts, they don't do very well without it. Additionally, in cool climates (eg UK), they do better in containers than in the ground, because the ground tends to be a bit cold, and soil warms up better in a container.
--
echinosum

ackeiyword;926849 Wrote:

Do you really mean "asparagus fern", the ornamental pot plant (which is actually a member of the asparagus family, not a fern)? Or do you mean asparagus the vegetable? I think you mean the latter. Let nature take its course. It falls over.
--
echinosum