Pruning Apple Espalier

Hi all, just joined and looking for a bit of advice, hope I'm in the correct forum.
I've read numerous books and articles about pruning espaliers but I'm finding it really difficult to get a consensus of opion, particularly when to prune.
I'm planning to prune main stem side shoots above the third leaf beyond the basal cluster and lateral side shoots above the first leaf beyond the basal cluster.
I've read varying times to prune from early August to after the worst of the winter weather.
Thanks in advance
Stuart
--
Stu_Mac

> correct forum.

> finding it really difficult to get a consensus of opion, particularly > when to prune.

> the basal cluster and lateral side shoots above the first leaf beyond > the basal cluster.

> the winter weather.

I would say don't panic about it too much. Main pruning should be done when the sap isn't running i.e. winter time, but if you need to take off the odd wayward branch in the growing seasons then go for it. Just use a sharpe tool to do this to keep a nice clean cut.
'7cm Square Pots | Pot Tastic' (http://tinyurl.com/3zdbavl )
--
Potman